• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - Stage?

Share/Bookmark

Question OT - Stage?

Anyone know where we (the school) can purchase a stage of modular design, sturdy, and lightweight? I love when administration says, "you're a musician find us a stage. We need it in two weeks."
    Love it. Some insight or?
    Thanks in advance.

PS - Gary, I don't think a sampled one will do.
    Styxx

Re: OT - Stage?

I suppose that's better than "You're a musician, find us some illicit drugs."
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I suppose that's better than "You're a musician, find us some illicit drugs."
    AAAaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahaha~!
    Pee me pants!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Anyone know where we (the school) can purchase a stage of modular design, sturdy, and lightweight? I love when administration says, "you're a musician find us a stage. We need it in two weeks."
    Love it. Some insight or?
    Thanks in advance.

PS - Gary, I don't think a sampled one will do.
    Have you checked out wengercorp.com? Don't know if you can get it in two weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoffman
    Have you checked out wengercorp.com? Don't know if you can get it in two weeks!
    Hey, funny you should mention Wengercorp! I was on the phone with them this afternoon. Nice people and very helpful but expensive! I'll need at least two more places before submitting the quotes to the administration.

Thanks Dave!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hey, funny you should mention Wengercorp! I was on the phone with them this afternoon. Nice people and very helpful but expensive! I'll need at least two more places before submitting the quotes to the administration.

Thanks Dave!
    They are very expensive but very good quality. A couple of other places to look:

www.schooloutfitters.com
    www.sicoinc.com
    www.stageright.com

Also if you need it quick, you could consider renting.

Dave

I'm in a similar situation, trying to find platforms to use as orchestra risers. What I need would would cost about $3-4000 from most vendors.

Instead I'm thinking about just building them myself, for $5-600. Some 2x4's, plywood, and metal table legs ( http://tinyurl.com/9ctz5 ), and a few cans of spraypaint could yield me a bunch of sturdy platforms that are fairly light and portable (the legs would screw on and off easily). It might not be as fancy as a Wenger, but would cost about 1/10th of the price, and give me an excuse to play with my power drill. Who knows, maybe I could even attach some wheels for easy transport.

Let me know what you come up with--if there are nice ones that are considerably cheaper than the Wenger ones, we might be able to purchase a set, but the prices are pretty high no matter where I've looked.

chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I'm in a similar situation, trying to find platforms to use as orchestra risers. What I need would would cost about $3-4000 from most vendors.

Instead I'm thinking about just building them myself,

chris.
    If I where a lawyer this proposal has "lawsuit" written all over it. Think what's happening when it brakes down - and as a stage engineer in my younger times I tell you, you can't (or probably more worse : you can) imagine what happens to a stage before, during and after a concert. No way: Get it bullet proof, especially for schools.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassPearlPlayer
    If I where a lawyer this proposal has "lawsuit" written all over it. Think what's happening when it brakes down - and as a stage engineer in my younger times I tell you, you can't (or probably more worse : you can) imagine what happens to a stage before, during and after a concert. No way: Get it bullet proof, especially for schools.
    Agreed. As much as I know Chris (Callmezoot) is being most helpful and we did consider building our own, costs and safety codes made it as or more expensive and out of the question.
    Thanks for all your help people!
    Styxx

Well, in my particular case, the orchestra is *already* using home-built risers that have been there for years. After each concert they are fully dismantled down to individual boards, and before each concert they are fully assembled piece by piece from bare wood. Holes are stripped and re-drilled, edges are split, and boards are warped. And it takes 3 hours for 5 guys with power drills to assemble these beasts. This is why I started looking into purchasing portable ones, but since the cost is prohibitive I figured I should at least improve on the old ones.

My intention is to make them more stable and more efficient to assemble. It's still not ideal, compared to something like Wenger, but I would take the utmost care to make sure they're sturdy and stable. Any carpenters here have some advice?

chris.

Go Back to forum