• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Mr. Post (Grandioso - GS3)

Share/Bookmark

Question for Mr. Post (Grandioso - GS3)

First off - I wanted to tell you this was $40 well spent. The GS3 gave 'new life' to this piano library. Haven't really used it in over a year.

Just to be sure have couple of questions:

1. installed the GS3 files - are all these 24 bit or 16 bit? - never gave me the option when installing.

2. Like the pedal imbedded stuff. But to be sure I am using correctly, when I use these patches and I play something on the piano and then hit the sustain pedal, I get an obvious different sample. Is this correct? Unless I use this ONLY for sustain pedal work, not bery usuable to me as playing this patch with normal pedal activity (up and down) - the 'different' samples are obvious.

Thanks for any advice. I would like to be able to 'write' with 16 bit files and 'track' to audio with the 24 bit ones.

Thanks.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: Question for Mr. Post (Grandioso - GS3)

Hi Rob,

GS3 is all 24 bit. You can use the editor to lower the bitrate. Simply select the convert wavepool option and convert the whole pool to 16 bit or even 16 bit accellerated and save the gig under a new name "16 bit version" would be a fine suffix.

I would have to check on my system what the presets are. There are variations for convoluted sustain pedal but also with real recorded pedal down samples. I´ll have a look tomorrow.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Many thanks for the key to having the 16 bit option. Looking forward to your reply tomorrow.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    Hi Rob,

GS3 is all 24 bit. You can use the editor to lower the bitrate. Simply select the convert wavepool option and convert the whole pool to 16 bit or even 16 bit accellerated and save the gig under a new name "16 bit version" would be a fine suffix.

I would have to check on my system what the presets are. There are variations for convoluted sustain pedal but also with real recorded pedal down samples. I´ll have a look tomorrow.

Michiel,

Any word on this?

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

2. Like the pedal imbedded stuff. But to be sure I am using correctly, when I use these patches and I play something on the piano and then hit the sustain pedal, I get an obvious different sample. Is this correct? Unless I use this ONLY for sustain pedal work, not bery usuable to me as playing this patch with normal pedal activity (up and down) - the 'different' samples are obvious.
    Hi Rob,
    Here we go:
    First patch: PMI Steinway D Classic 16 layer. It loads an instance of GigaPulse under the FX button of the midi slot. Open the FX instance and see a full GigaPulse effect that responds when you press the sustain pedal. As soon as the sustain pedal goes down the GigaPulse effect recreates the resonance of the piano body. You can disable the effect by clicking on the bypass button. Even with this effect bypassed, there is a traditional sustain sample that is triggered when you play AFTER the sustain pedal is pressed. So this one does not respond in real time but AFTER operating the pedal.

I'll continue with the other patches later (loading them crashes my system now so I'll re-boot and continue).
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

second: Steinway D Modelled Sustain. As the name indicates this one uses GigaPulse ONLY for sustain pedal notes. You can adjust the effect when you open the GigaPulse FX instance. This version has no recorded sustain pedal down samples.

Nr3 Steinway D Sustain Only. Does not use any GigaPulse effect and has sustain pedal down samples only, regardless the pedal usage.

Nr 4 Full Modelled has all possible effects and .....ANOTHER CRASH (reboot and continue).
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

nr 4: Is more or less like nr 1 (Classic 16 layer) but has a different velocity curve scaling.

So to get back to your remark: if the different sound when the pedal is down is too obvious, you can either select a less obvious setting in the Classic 16 layer patch or use the (maybe even bypass the effect) or use the Modelled sustain patch and adjust GigaPulse untill you like what you hear.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Thanks for the info Michiel.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum