• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this MIDI note conversion table accurate?

Share/Bookmark

Is this MIDI note conversion table accurate?

MIDI noteOn Event Conversion Table

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could confirm that the above table accurately converts MIDI note numbers 0-127 to the proper note names? I believe it's in the Roland standard?

Thanks!

Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

Re: Is this MIDI note conversion table accurate?

yes, but ... octave offsets are very common, by intention or mistake. Is "C4" middle C for you or not?

Could not get the link to the table to work, but midi note #60 is middle C on the piano, whether you refer to it as C3 or C4.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Hey Soundsmith, is the link still not working? The page is definitely there. Thank you for confirming that 60 is middle C. My understanding was that Roland refers to #60 as C4 (which I have adopted).

Anyway, I am always having to make these note-to-number conversions, and I dread them because I'm paranoid and don't trust myself. I couldn't find any reference material online, so I made this chart.

I also checked my website logs and am seeing quite a lot of traffic to this page. It's not published anywhere but this thread, so I hope it's accurate.

Does anyone have a link to some other, similar chart?
    Some experts learn more and more about less and less, until at last they know everything there is about nothing at all.

The link is working now.

And Yamaha calls it C3, which is the convention I adopted, because my first serious MIDI synth was the DX7. This is the source of the confusion. I do wish the IMA would have adopted a standardized convention for named notation as well as numeric, but it's amazing how well the system works still, despite the initial specs.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum