• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: PC Holiday Sales Down Apple Sales UP.

Share/Bookmark

PC Holiday Sales Down Apple Sales UP.

It looks like a lean holiday season for PC retailers like Dell but Apple is selling lots of iPods and Macs.

http://today.reuters.com/news/NewsAr...mber=0&summit=

Re: PC Holiday Sales Down Apple Sales UP.

I'm thinking of a Mac (moving away from PC) myself. Still, it all boils down to how it is configured for your specific needs. I'm finding out one can encounter just as many headaches with a Mac as they would with a PC for music composition UNLESS it is set up properly. Be what it may, the confusion still grows.
    I wonder just how much Apple’s sales are in favor of, iPods or Mac.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I wonder just how much Apple’s sales are in favor of, iPods or Mac.
    Apple makes most of it's profit these days from the iPod. (not that mac sales are down... they're actually way up as a result of the iPod)

Quote Originally Posted by qbert
    Apple makes most of it's profit these days from the iPod. (not that mac sales are down... they're actually way up as a result of the iPod)
    Makes sense. My daughter loves her iPod and her Mac. She actually owns GPO but can't use it until she upgrades to a Power Mac. She's still using one of those colored self contained Macs. Not enough to run GPO.
    Styxx

I've been a strong advocate of the PC for years, but I gotta say, I'm really thinking of getting either a MACMini or a Powerbook. I'm trying to streamline my studio to get rid of all distractions. That's why I haven't been writing very well lately. (I think)

Anyone using a MACMini with GPO?

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thumbs up Re: PC Holiday Sales Down Apple Sales UP.

I have been amazed at how many iPod Shuffles are being given away at corporate events. I bet this is a market Apple never expected. They have replaced USB storage key rings as the hot give away, no complaints from me!

It is good to see Apple prosper. I'm not a fan of the Mac, but I do see the high quality both it and other Apple products represent.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I just got together with the folks at www.MacCompanion.com last week to carry my columns & do a book review of Tribes in their monthly magazine. Really fun guys to work with. I almost went Mac when I was trying to buy a Pro Tools rig (no one wants to sell you the Windows version, it was that flaky). Still thinking that a Power Book might be fun.

The hard part about shifting platforms in the studio is that we typically have built up a rather expensive collection of programs that would then have to be re-purchased for the new platform. If it weren't for that I probably would have grabbed a Mac years ago. Apple has always been the Cornerstone of Cool.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I can't imagine making music with just one or the other.
    dpDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    dpDan
    I can't imagine making music WITHOUT any one of them!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    dpDan

In 2004 Apple filed a patent on secure code that would prevent it's OS from being ported to non Apple machines . In its application, Apple describes a means of securing code using either a specific hardware address or read-only memory (ROM) serial number. Apple also talks about securing the code while interchanging information among multiple operating systems. Mac OS X, Windows and Linux are called out specifically in the filing.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,3...9236496,00.htm

Go Back to forum