• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: HYBRID PIANOS

Share/Bookmark

HYBRID PIANOS

PMI introduces a new technology in piano sampling: the HYBRID PIANO

Traditional piano sampling always starts with one piano and one or two microphone perspectives to record this piano. This -by definition- seriously limits sonic possibilities.

Using new technologies we re-invented the principle of piano sampling. The hybrid piano principle is simple: instead of recording one piano with a fixed microphone plot, we capture the different elements as separate building blocks. The body-less piano strings, the different piano bodies and the acoustic environment are each captured with very high precision. Using our hybrid recombination technique, we re-assemble these components to create a hybrid piano which gives us total control over the different aspects that form a piano sound.
    The hybrid recombination technology we use is a complex mathematical calculation based on morphing, convolution and spectral recombination and is performed off-line. The resulting audio samples have higher definition and clarity, better dynamic response and a very distinctive character. Aspects such as piano body structure, typical piano brand sound impression and acoustic space are “rendered” on a note-by-note basis for a minimum of 20 dynamic nuances of each note. These 20 dynamic layers are further processed in real-time with a convolution engine effect to smoothen transients and harmonics. As a result of spectral recombination the sample can be looped at positions where the sonic fingerprint falls in repeating patterns. This results in sample sets that can be surprisingly small; below 1.5 GB for a 20 layer 24 bits piano! The acoustic space can also be added with a convolver at the end phase (upon playback) if desired.

The first piano sample sets that resulted from this technology demonstrate their amazing sonic possibilities.
    These new pianos are an absolute joy to play; they respond much more like real acoustic instruments than any other samples. They give you the “feel” of a real instrument.

AUDIO EXAMPLES
    Example 1 is a hybrid piano, based on body-less strings with the spectral components of both Yamaha and Bosendorfer pianos. Listen to this 11 MB mp3 clip.

Example 2 is a hybrid combination of 2 Steinway piano bodies, with a beautiful dark soft side as well as more “bite” in the louder regions. Listen to this 11 MB mp3 clip
    Example 3 is a hybrid “inflated” Bosendorfer concert piano in a small hall. Listen to this 11 MB mp3 clip.
    Example 4 is performed on the same sample set as example 2 (Hybrid Piano #2) and nicely shows the dynamic range of this piano. Listen to this 35 MB MP3 demo.

TEMP LINK TO AUDIO DEMOS:
    http://www.postpiano.com/hybrid/

These piano sets will be released soon!

Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Re: HYBRID PIANOS

Michiel, my Windows Media Player can't play the audio files.

? I have tested on Windows Media Player 10.00.00.3646.
    Maybe you can download them (right-click>Save as) and open them later.

OK, I first saved them to my hard disk (right click ... save as ...) and now it's no problem.

The bosendorfer example nº 3 is truly amazing.... and Gradus ad Parnassum at example 4 brings me nice memories

Thumbs up Re: HYBRID PIANOS

The Bosenstein Lives!!! or was it the Steindorfer?

This is cool. We can do stuff with samples now (like take the best parts of different instruments and mutate them into something new ). This takes a lot of guts to do this Mr. Post - some "traditionalists" might go nuts, but I think pushing the sample envelope is something that a lot of people have been afraid to do to this point. Kudos!!!!

Roll your own Piano! That's cool!

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Looks like we're headed in the direction of animation. Model a piano string, let the computer render the waves and then assemble them into a piano soundset.

Ernie

Michiel Post you´re a b.....
    My wife will hate you. I just regained strength from my last anonymous pianosample library addicts meeting and now you deliver these superb sounding pianos. It will be hard to resist especially when (as you said) the "feel-factor" is right.
    I love the demos. Be gentle with us, it´s christmas coming
    Raindog

!!!!!!!DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    The Bosenstein Lives!!! or was it the Steindorfer?
    That would be a Frankensteinway

Fascinating stuff Michiel!

Seems like you're on the cutting edge again! Best wishes with the Hybrid!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast