• Register
  • Help

Topic: What PC sould I buy? help.....

Question What PC sould I buy? help.....

Hi to all, hope you can give me some good clues. I have a two year old Powerbook G4 Titanim 1ghz CPU / 1ghz RAM. Rather than buying a new Mac quad I was thinking of using a PC with Gigastudio as an external sampler. In that way i suppose my mac would'nt make to many efforts by reading, say, 64 midi tracks and sending them to the PC, right? So these are my questions:

1 - Assuming I'd like to have the maximum polyphony and best performance one could have by using, as a start, just one Gigastudio system, using big orchestra sample libraries (such as Vienna Symphonic Library etc), which would be the best specs? CPU, RAM, HD......are RAID disks useful?

2 - Talking about the rest of the hardware I'm about to buy a Motu Traveler (I work on Logic) as the main sound card for my Mac which i will use also to monitor the audio return of the PC's samples, is the quality of the PC's soundcard important? I mean even a cheap one with an optical adat out could be ok? Or am i saying someting stupid? Also I need to buy two MIDI interfaces, any advice on which ones to buy? I saw such a difference in price that I'm a bit confused, I was planning to use at least 4 midi outs (64 channels right?)...

Hope you can give me some good advice, thank you all for your help....
    pat :-)

Re: What PC sould I buy? help.....

Pat -

Try searching both Giga forum and hardware forum wiith Search Terms: PC Specification (or configuration) Giga or GS. I remember lots of threads talking to both off-the-shelf systems and self-built systems.

If you aren't so interested in saving every possible dollar - you can have somebody build one for you. I had my Giga DAW built by Advanced Designs in Kentucky. It's been working fine for 3 years. These guys - as well as other DAW specialized shops know which MB goes with with RAM, which soundcards are most GIga friendly etc. and can save you all the headaches. You could by a DELL off the shelf, but then you'll need to spend lots of time turning things off for optimization, researching sound cards for that machine, etc.

Hope that helps,

Go Back to forum