• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Competition Update

Orcas Island

GPO Competition Update

Looks like we are not going to get Carnegie Hall for our 2006 Competition.

Negotiations for the space have proved more difficult and involved than imagined. There are many complexities having to do with the unions, liability and other requirements that were unexpected, prohibitive and a bit overwhelming. It's just not in the cards for this coming year.

Having a concert at Carnegie Hall is not outside the realm of possibility and it will take a lot longer to organize. I'll still explore ways to make this happen in the future and if we cannot, we'll plan for another venue. The Competition we pulled off this past spring was fantastic by all accounts and I'm looking forward to another.

I have another idea for this coming year. What if we were to have a Jazz and Big Band Competition? We could perhaps rent the Village Vanguard (which I have rented previously for a project), or the Blue Note, or some other jazz club?

Let me know what you think of this idea.

Gary Garritan

New York, NY

Re: GPO Competition Update

That's sounds like a much more reasonable great idea.. Sorry to hear that Carnegie is so difficult because of all the politics and middlemen...

West Seneca, NY

Thumbs up Re: GPO Competition Update

Gary, You know who and the BPO said we could use Kleinhans Music Hall in Beeffalo provided we have our concert on the third day of the thirteenth month or the forty fourth week of the year of our lord last year.

The jazz thang sound like a wang tang idea!

Shame about the hassle with Carnegie, but the JABB contest sounds an excellent idea.

Add a vote in favour from me.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I'd love to see both an orchestral and a jazz/big band contest, with perhaps a double-bill concert of both sets of winners!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

We definitely got to have another orchestral competition eventually! Too bad Carnegie Hall is proving to be a pain to get But even if it isn't possible to get any time soon, I still think it's worth pursuing in the long run.

A JABB contest also sounds like a wonderful idea. I gots to hurry up and learn me Jazz though!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I'll all for a jazz competition... so long as the desired output isn't Wynton Marsalis style "museum jazz"!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

NW Illinois

It'd be fun for me just to walk in the Vanguard. But realistically it's pretty easy to find a jazz band to read down a chart. Many high schools, junior colleges, and universities can be approached to sight read somethiing. There's still some rehearsal bands around that can do it too. They've always been receptive when I've approached them.

I wish it was that easy to get an orchestra to read a new piece of music.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    I'd love to see both an orchestral and a jazz/big band contest, with perhaps a double-bill concert of both sets of winners!
    I'll cast a second for this idea...let's not forget the orchestral compositions in the excitement about JABB!

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Well I'd be happy to offer my living room as long as it's chamber music.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Go Back to forum