Finally, I got my X2 DAW

MOTHERBOARD: Asus A8V Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ dual-core
    HEATSINK: Thermalright XP-120
    CPU FAN: Panaflo FBA12G12M1A
    RAM: 2x 1 GB OCZ DDR400 CL2 2-3-2-5
    VIDEO: ATI Radeon 9250 256MB AGP8x Sapphire
    AUDIO: M-Audio Audiophile 2496
    HDD1: (System): 80GB Maxtor 7200 8mb (IDE)
    HDD2: (Audio): 80GB Maxtor 7200 8mb (IDE)
    HDD3: (Samples): 200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax10 16mb (SATA - Raid 0)
    HDD4: (Samples): 200 GB Maxtor DiamondMax10 16mb (SATA - Raid 0)
    POWER SUPPLY: Enermax EG365P-VE FMA 350W
    SCREENS: 2x Samsung DF 997MB 19''

I had to import the processor, the DMax HDDs, the HS/cooler and the memory. I'm still waiting for the memory and video card to come and have to buy the case (no Sonata II here in Brazil... can someone help me? )

It appears I picked up the right pieces for the machine. Hopefully it will be powerful, quiet and I will be able to take advantage of all of its potential.

Many thanks to JonFairhurst, Jcschild and all the other people in this forum who helped me
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

Re: Finally, I got my X2 setup

Congratulations on getting a fantastic PC! I expect that it will be fast, cool and quiet.

With four hard drives and a fast dual core, I hope that your 350W power supply is up to the task. It's likely powerful enough (real-world systems rarely need more than 200 - 250 W), but if you find that you have instability problems, consider getting something with more juice.

Be careful to connect all of the required lines from the power supply to the motherboard. In older systems, there was just one long connector on the motherboard that joined with two smaller connectors from the power supply. Newer systems (including the A8V-Deluxe) have an additional square power connector near the CPU. (I learned this the hard way. I was very puzzled when the machine would not boot!)

Hopefully, your system will run beautifully! Best of luck to you...

YEa! sounds great. however i echo the power supply thought!

kinda slim. enermax is good quality at least

Thanks people for the advice. My concern was on the PSU but it was the best brand I could find here and the 485w was out of order.

What convinced me was what this guy told me in this topic:

"I've run 4 HDDs, a A64 3200+ (winchester), 1GB (2x512) RAM, and a Gigabyte 6800 GPU off my 350W PSU. IIRC, the hard drives primarily use the 5V lines, GPU and CPU use the 12V line(s), and the 3.3V is usually for the RAM and other stuff on the motherboard, so comparing the specs of my Blue Storm and your Enermax:
    Voltage, Blue Storm, Enermax
    3.3V: 22A 32A
    5V: 21A 22A
    12V: (10+15)A 26A

Admittedly, I don't have as power hungry of a CPU, but my GPU probably uses alot more power than that 9250, and your RAM probably uses more of the 3.3V line than mines. Overall, I think your PSU will do fine. My only concern would be optical drives since they sometimes also use the 12V line when running at full speed.
    Check out this SPCR article on PSU loads: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article265-page1.html"
    []'s, Fabrício Zuccherato
    Wormhole Studios

I agree that most systems do not need 400+ watts. (I ran a 300W PS on a three disk system for a couple of years very successfully.) Also Enermax makes good supplies, so your system will likely run well.

However, if your system, once built, is unstable, it might be due to a lack of power. I'm 90% confident that this will not be the case, but there's always that other 10% chance...

Since top power supplies are difficult to obtain, you would likely be able to re-gain stability (if needed) by selecting slower than standard clock speeds and softer RAM timings. This would solve problems with either a weak supply, or non-optimal RAM, which are the two most common reasons for instability.

Again, your system will likely be fine at standard clock rates. And I would guess that it will really scream!

Best wishes for a stable and fast system. I want to read about your system's success!

Go Back to forum