• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Woodwindy" (request for realism tips)

Share/Bookmark

"Woodwindy" (request for realism tips)

All,

This is my all-GPO "Woodwindy".

GPO instruments: Flute Solo V, Oboe 1 Modern Solo, Bb Clarinet Solo, Bassoon 1 Plr 1

This is sequenced through Sonar 3 and Kontakt 2.

I would appreciate tips on how to achieve even more realism.

Thanks in advance and regards,

Larry Alexander

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/Woodwindy.mp3
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Woodwindy" (request for realism tips)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    This is my all-GPO "Woodwindy".
    Cool piece

Quote Originally Posted by lukpcn
    Cool piece
    Thank you.

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This is a self-imposed bump.

LGA
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

This is a self-imposed bump.

LGA
    Clever one

Definitely a very nice piece, and well programmed.

Speaking for myself, if I were attempting this sort of thing there would be two areas I'd try and play with for realism. One is intonation- I feel that samples tend to be too pefectly pitched. Even with winds, which tend to be better about intonation I still like to insert an envelope on each track that gently nudges the pitch up and down, not enough to be noticeably out (we have to assume we're working with top notch virtual players here!) but enough to take away the "played on a keyboard and perfectly on pitch" feel. Probably with a range of -15 to +15, but experiment.

The other is the sort of repetition "shotgun" effect you always wind up with occasionally using samples- like say, the clarinet at 2' 17". There's a clear repetition of a low note that is louder than the surrounding notes and sticks out. At the least I'd try and reign in the velocities on that note throughout the piece and at best I might try taking advantage of GPO's multiple players and instruments and try occasionally switching to a whole other instrument for a few notes, just to change up the timbre of each "player". I did that with a solo cello line in GPO once- I made the single part a patchwork of all three cellos. It doesn't always work because the sound can wind up changing too radically but in an ensemble it should be easier to get away with and it should really help the unconscious feeling that you're hearing the same sound over and over.

Anyway, I think you have a great sounding piece as it is, but if you decide to play around with any of those ideas I'd love to hear an A/B comparison!

At 02:17 the clarinet has the lead and is supposed to stand out.

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions and thank you for listening. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

At 02:17 the clarinet has the lead and is supposed to stand out.
    I realize that, I'm talking about every time in that phrase it hits that fourth below the root- is it a B? I don't have any reference nearby. There's a specific note that stands out relative to the others and is louder and very static in character. It's not the sort of thing that detracts from the enjoyment of the piece at all. But you were talking about trying to get the highest level of realism you could and that's one of the things I noticed.

Great piece of music, very Bachesque
    I think the instruments play at too similar levels and that individual instruments should come to the "foreground" when they are in the lead, and that the piece as a whole needs more dynamic control (that is MOD control)
    Also, have you thought about an indrawn breath sample every now and then? (even that cheap Soundblaster stick microphone should be enough to record that)
    Keep up the good work!
    Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    I realize that, I'm talking about every time in that phrase it hits that fourth below the root- is it a B? I don't have any reference nearby. There's a specific note that stands out relative to the others and is louder and very static in character. It's not the sort of thing that detracts from the enjoyment of the piece at all. But you were talking about trying to get the highest level of realism you could and that's one of the things I noticed.
    Thanks for the explanation. On rehearing it I see what you mean.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum