• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: TBO vs Ivory

Share/Bookmark

TBO vs Ivory

I know this may come off as a little crass but....

I already own The Old Lady and The Emperor and though I'm fond of them both I find they have too much ambience to use in pop/rock/r&b tracks.
    I'm interested in purchasing TBO but for another $100 (street price) I can buy all 3 of Ivory's pianos.
    To those of you who have purchased TBO, why did you buy it instead of, or in addition to, Ivory.

And yes I have listened to the mp3s and although helpful, there is something left to be desired in using them solely to select a piano library. But this is another topic.

Thanks, JP

Re: TBO vs Ivory

Still haven't decided then?

I bought TBO for two reasons.

1) I prefer the sound of it.

2) I like Sampletekk's products and support.

I didn't like the demos on the Synthogy (Ivory) site, but liked the Sampletekk demos.

Why don't you download the playable demo of TBO? That's the best way of working out if you like the feel and playability of it. Maybe Ivory have a demo too, I don't know.

Cool Re: TBO vs Ivory

I was sold on TBO, after I tried the 2 octave demo. There is nothing better than having an opportunity to try something out before buying it. It turned out to be an incredible library for me, and I am very happy with it. I also have the Old Lady, and numberous other piano libs. I prefer some over the other, but again each one has its specific uses. Cannot speak of Ivory, as I do not own it. But again I prefer Gigastudio piano libraries anyway.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio
    I already own The Old Lady and The Emperor and though I'm fond of them both I find they have too much ambience to use in pop/rock/r&b tracks.
    I have been harping about this quite a bit on here. ALL of the Post libraries are unusable in a mix since they are too washy and I own every one, and the Art Vista is out of tune and washy. Since I don't have Ivory or the full TBO I can't say, but I can say that by ALL means get the Vintaudio C7 and at least the Sampletekk WG Jr, or better yet the full White Grand. There is nothing better in a mix than the White Grand, and the Vintaudio C7 is GREAT everywhere from solo to a mix. Just add a touch of high EQ to it (the C7) and it will sparkle and sit beautifully in a mix! For solo studio-sound work it is perfect raw. The White Grand is superb on its own in a mix. From what I hear of the demos of the TBO I bet it will be good with a little top end EQ too. As you can tell I like dry, clear pianos that are usable and versatile, so I am biased.

Try not to go too much on the mp3 demos of the sounds, they are misleading. I don't like the Ivory demos but people on here say the real thing smokes the demos. I agree, download the demo 2 octaves of the TBO but at the minimum get the Vintaudio C7, I promise you'll love it! I changed my philosophy of "can't have enough pianos", all I want are usable instruments. I have $$ worth of pianos I'll never use. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by irvind
    Still haven't decided then?

Why don't you download the playable demo of TBO? That's the best way of working out if you like the feel and playability of it. Maybe Ivory have a demo too, I don't know.
    I think its fantastic that they offer this demo. I wish everyone did. However I use EXS24 and I got the impression that there was no demo version for this. Am I mistaken?
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Diddle

...but I can say that by ALL means get the Vintaudio C7 and at least the Sampletekk WG Jr, or better yet the full White Grand. There is nothing better in a mix than the White Grand...
    Thanks for your suggestions Perry. I've considered the White Grand and I did read that it was specifically designed for pop track settings. I just wonder how it compares to TBO and might TBO be usable in a wider variety of applications.
    JP

TBO has a much greater range of dynamics than WG. I haven't yet put TBO in a big mix so can't advise on how it sounds in that respect, but my guess is that it would be good. It's an exceptionally clean, sparkling piano, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.. TBO would be usable in more situations than WG I think.

It seems to me that if you want a piano for pop/rock/r&b tracks, you simply will not need the 31 layers of the TBO and that it would be massive overkill. In fact even if you got White Grand, you would probably set it so that the number of velocity layers is reduced (I am assuming White Grand allows this in the same way as Black Grand, which is what I have and LOVE).

Just a thought.

Len
    www.lenmusic.com

Ok, a bit about TBO.

The piano used was a Yamaha C/ grand and the production goal was to get a modern piano sound that had a lot of dynamics, was dry, well defined and with a balanced tonal spectra.
    We also wanted it to work well in mono.
    We wanted it close and dry, but we didn't want it to lack warmth, so, after testing a multitude of microphones, we decided to use the Neumann SM2. This vintage Neumann is a stereo microphone that gave us exactly the sound we was after.
    So, miking close gave us dryness and clarity, using the Neumann gave us warmth.
    One thing that's so great about pianos are the fact that you actually can use the same instrument for different playing styles:
    "Great Balls Of Fire" sounds great as does "Adagio Cantabile", played on exactly the same instrument.
    Why? Because of the tremendous dynamic range of the instrument.
    SampleTekk has used 16 velocities in earlier pianos, (White Grand and Black Grand), but now we took it one step further: 31 velocity levels" That means 93 unique samples/recorded note! (31 pedal up, 31 pedal down and 31 release samples).
    This means that you will get a transparent transition between the different velocity layer that no other sampled piano can match today (IMHO).

You can hear this difference if you use the same midi file on TBO and any other sampled piano. Find a spot where the piano is played in a way that the velocity is gradually increased or decreased.
    Now, compare the two pianos.
    You will find that the TBO gives you a greater tonal change going from say, pp to ff then any other piano, (again, IMHO).
    The reason for this is simple, if you play a note, say from velocity level 15 to 90 increasing the velocity by 5 in each note, you would actually triggering more different samples on TBO then any other piano (not IMHO, this is actually a fact!), and since a piano sounds very different played softly the hard, this is (IMHO...) very important for the feel of the instrument when played upon
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

What Per and others are saying about TBO is rings true to me.

I have been playing it for days, and there is no doubt in my mind that this is the current best-of-class in sampled pianos. I will say that I have not played Ivory, and cannot offer a direct comparison. But nothing I have heard demonstrates the clarity, warmth, solid-footing, and extreme timbral accuracy of TBO.

It is absolutely my go-to piano right now, for anything I can think of. I have loaded up many other pianos against it, and it takes about ten seconds for me to decide to unload anything else and go back to TBO. It has every characteristic that I look for: Warmth in the piano dynamics, power and sparkle in the forte, and solid immediacy in the soundfield.

Go Back to forum