• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: B4 ll Vs Charlie

Share/Bookmark

B4 ll Vs Charlie

I'm been thinking about getting a Hammond module for some time and to my ears, as an old Hammond player, Charlie sounds more realistic than B4 but B4 is set up better for live playing. Has anyone heard B4 ll yet. NI doesn't have a demo for it yet or an mp3 that I can find. It's also little easier on the pocket book than Charlie unless you also buy the hardware controller.

Re: B4 ll Vs Charlie

NI was alleged to have come down on their prices - though I'm not sure of that. I have Charlie and like it a lot - but go to the Leslie emulator in Cubase and Nuendo quite often as the sample-based player doesn't have a good Leslie emulator with it, which is a shame. It doesn't hurt the way I play it, as the Leslie emulator that comes with Cubase and Nuendo is truly stellar, but I think it has hurt the perception of Charlie as a "complete" B-3 solution. As much as I like Charlie, you should probably check out B4II before (pun) you make your final decision.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

The original B4 is a very accurate Hammond simulation - example: Recently I recorded a session at a local studio using the B4. Later, they wanted to replace the bridges with a different part, and came to my studio, where Iduplicated exactly the sound (868000358) on my A-103, and you couldn't tell where the punch was.

Charlie is a limited simulation, no real-time drawbar pulls. And the new B4 II, while it may be a good instrument, will, I'm sure rum on the standard NI interface - 2 installs, vs. the original, which asks for the CD every few weeks, but I have it running on 5 different machines with no problem (one OS9 mac G3, an OSX Mac G4, a P4 laptop and 2 P4 desktop machines.) I highly recommed the original B4, with the extra tonewheels (you really do need them unless you just do hard rock, the original is a very distorted beast, and even the 'pure' tonewheel distorts readily in the Leslie.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

B4 sits in a mix wonderfully. It's one of the best Leslie sims I've ever heard. Soloed out you can tell it's a sim, but like I said in a mix it does very well. And the overdrive also is extremely authentic. So, for its ability to really be controllable like the real thing B4 gets my vote. And if you then put it through a real Leslie cabinet it's indistiguishable from a real Hammond.

If you are going to use it very up front and being able to pull drawbars and make other real-time changes isn't a factor then Charlie might be the way to go. Othersiwe, B4 all the way.

I just got B4II on Friday and I like it a lot. It has a single or dual leslie setting, I like the dual Leslie setting it has a much fuller sound to it. The overdrive has a nice gurgle that sounds like the treble horn is being pushed to the max. The Bass rotor sounds like Steppenwolf when it is ramping down. The built in reverb has a spring or studio setting that's good for stand alone live playing. I also like the leakage setting, it gives a lot of cool overtones (sounds like my old Hammond CV). I plugged my Guitar in and it almost sounds real, It's the most convincing software Guitar Leslie sound to date IMHO. It has a lot of speaker settings that sound quite good, but I like the open 122 Leslie the best. I've got a Voce V5 Hammond Clone and a Motion Sound Pro3-t that sounds better, but the B4II is more convienent. Hope that helps.
    Don't look at me for help, I'm a Guitar Player.

Thanks for the replys. I'll probably wait for a demo of B4 ll before I make a decision. It would be more for live playing.

NI doesn't ask for the CD every weeks anymore. That's old stuff. Now you authorize machines on their website.

I have used the original B4 a lot and though it is definitely not the real thing (which is due to the fact that to date there has been no convincing emulation of a 122 Leslie) it´s as close as it can get within a mix.
    Charlie sounds better as it is a sampled B3 WITH Leslie included. The major problem is that you have to crossfade the slow and fast Leslie samples which is oK in a mix but nothing than unreal in a solo setting. Don´t expect to play too much with drawbars, I believe 90% of keyboarders who are no genuine Hammond players don´t do it but just switch presets.
    I´ll have to wait for the B4 II (it´s in the post) but the major improvement I hope for is the Leslie and the overdrive. If this comes true I could highly reccommend the B4 instead of Charlie.
    regards
    Raindog

B4II i s really cool.

Definitely improved upon B4.
    Better Leslie and amp emulation. Lots of presets, including the cheesy kind for those weird, retro, kitchy tunes...etc

Very happy with it

Haven't played with B4 II, but as I said earlier, it's now installation-controlled, so you get 2 installs, instead of unlimited with original B4. If this matters to you (I have need of 3 installs, and actually use more, just because the machines are available and I might need a backup some time) then look for the original B4 on eBay or some of the less-popular music stores (that might have some stock left.)
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Go Back to forum