• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Four Elements ~ IV - Waterfall

Share/Bookmark

The Four Elements ~ IV - Waterfall

Hello again It's been a while since I've posted something! I've been very hard at work writing some non-GPO stuff, mainly two songs and a live piece for the Pacific Rims percussion ensemble.

Today I want to share my latest completed movement from the Four Elements piece that I've been composing for the past few months off and on. I've already shared preliminary versions of movements I (Sandstorm) and III (Lightningfield), which I'll post completed versions of eventually. However, here is movement IV: Waterfall.

The picture in my mind when creating this was of a sort of water cycle. The water originates from the clouds and falls down as rain onto the land and rivers. The water then flows down the rivers, encountering calm and rapid portions. The water then comes to a grand waterfall and dives off, landing below in a river that continues further into the ocean. The piece attempts to follow the water through from the clouds to the ocean, having just focused on wind and the storm in movement III.

The instrumentation is: Flute, Timpani, Crotales, Glockenspiel, Marimba, Vibraphone, Harp, Violin & Cello sections.

The Four Elements ~ IV - Waterfall

Enjoy!

P.S. I forgot to mention, this is going to be accompanying a newly choreographed dance that I worked with the choreographer on! If you want to see the piece and the dance live, and you live in the Seattle area, come check out Cornish College of the Arts' New Moves concert in December! I'll post a formal announcement in General closer to the actual date.

Re: The Four Elements ~ IV - Waterfall

Fascinating piece, Leif -- ingenious, and very well done, both compositionally and in the rendering.

Achieving this kind of minimalism and yet keeping it moving forward -- and keeping it interesting -- takes real finesse and skill.

Great job on this -- I've listened through the piece several times; hearing still more and different layers of structure and relationships with each hearing.

You didn't figure out some way to make the piece play differently each time, now, did you, Leif? That's the sensation I get... that the piece is mutating, somewhat different each time I hear it.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

this is exceptional...and very hypnotic - i love it...what else to say than let's hear it again!!!

wish i was in seattle to see this choreographed...good luck and congrats!

josh

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Fascinating piece, Leif -- ingenious, and very well done, both compositionally and in the rendering.

Achieving this kind of minimalism and yet keeping it moving forward -- and keeping it interesting -- takes real finesse and skill.

Great job on this -- I've listened through the piece several times; hearing still more and different layers of structure and relationships with each hearing.

You didn't figure out some way to make the piece play differently each time, now, did you, Leif? That's the sensation I get... that the piece is mutating, somewhat different each time I hear it.
    Thank you for the high compliments David I'm certainly honored, as I've really enjoyed what you've posted here.

Mutating is a good word to describe it really, as that was somewhat how the composition process ended up being. While there's a loose sonata form in there somewhere, it really was a process of taking various themes and 'crossfading' between them in a notated way. By the time I finished, I didn't even realize that I had modulated!

And Josh, thanks as well for the comments I wish you could be there as well, but there's a possibility there'll be a video recorded. Who knows! All I can say is that the dance is really beautifully done and involves these interesting flags on metal poles doing all sorts of tossing and fluid motions through the space. I'm looking forward to it for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    Mutating is a good word to describe it really, as that was somewhat how the composition process ended up being. While there's a loose sonata form in there somewhere, it really was a process of taking various themes and 'crossfading' between them in a notated way. By the time I finished, I didn't even realize that I had modulated!
    Depending what you focus on, you pick up a different relationship... it really is ingenious, Leif.

That's probably basically true of many pieces -- but in this piece, because of the chaining and the almost ostinato-like techniques throughout, the overall effect is entrancing.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Superb work Leif!
    Your choice of instruments is perfect to portray the journey you envisioned. The momentum also conveys a sense of constant motion. David is right, succesive hearings reveal new nuances. Very subltlely at 4:15 and more so at 4:25 it sounds like a recap of Sandstorm. Please post the finished complete work when you've completed it.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Superb work Leif!
    Your choice of instruments is perfect to portray the journey you envisioned. The momentum also conveys a sense of constant motion. David is right, succesive hearings reveal new nuances. Very subltlely at 4:15 and more so at 4:25 it sounds like a recap of Sandstorm. Please post the finished complete work when you've completed it.
    Bill
    Thank you Bill I certainly plan on it! The final effort (Mvt II - Firepeak) at the moment is arranging an all-percussion piece to include several more tonal instruments and use percussion I actually have samples for. Time-consuming, but it should be done soon.

This is fabulous! Are we listening to a recording of the Pacific Rim performance or GPO? How did get involved in this project? You are obviously well suited for it because this is a well written piece. I hope the choreography turns out as well as the music. Great job!

Best,
    Paula
    Cheers!
    Paula

Remember to Play www.thepunkduck.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll
    This is fabulous! Are we listening to a recording of the Pacific Rim performance or GPO? How did get involved in this project? You are obviously well suited for it because this is a well written piece. I hope the choreography turns out as well as the music. Great job!

Best,
    Paula
    Thanks Paula! This is all GPO. The Pacific Rims piece is actually a different movement, which I'm working on currently. Sorry I confused you! I'm currently in a class that's studying percussion ensemble music and its history with dance. We got paired up with the choreography class in the dance department for the Pacific Rims pieces. For this piece however, one of the dancers in the other class really enjoyed my music and so he asked me to write a piece for his dance. Since great coincidences went into all these collaborations with dance, I'm going to hopefully present all four movements in my senior recital this coming Spring with solo versions of the dances accompanying them. That's still a bit away though.

Very well done! The minimalist texture creates a wonderful "fabric" without being overly repetitious. Beautifully realized - you are both an interesting composer, and a very able sequencer. Those two don't often go together....

This one is worth repeated listens.

R. Pearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast