• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: From the New Toys Dept: Shake It!

Share/Bookmark

From the New Toys Dept: Shake It!

Think Tom's trumpet shakes were something?

Now there's Shake-u-lator!

This handheld calculator uses Faraday's Principle of Electromagnetic Energy to operate. You no longer have to buy replacement batteries for your calculator. This battery-free calculator is powered by shaking the calculator side to side.

Shake the calculator and the magnet slides through the copper coil in the visible chamber about 20-25 times - enough electricity is generated to operate for 10 minutes.

We are secretly developing a version of JABB that uses Faraday's Principle of Electromagnetic Energy. Just shake your booty to make music!

Re: From the New Toys Dept: Shake It!

Neat stuff! Have you ever seen those commercials for the flashlight that uses the same principle? We just need to have shoes that will use this property to recharge iPod batteries or something
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Neat stuff! Have you ever seen those commercials for the flashlight that uses the same principle? We just need to have shoes that will use this property to recharge iPod batteries or something
    This would imply that one had to actually get off one's butt now and again. I think you give too much credit to the average consumer.

It would be interesting to do a cost analysis comparing batteries and the food required to create the calories you use to shake the calculator. Nothing in this universe really comes for free

Cool!

I wonder if I could get one of those Faraday dinguses that I could plug into my backside to get my a** in gear... lol.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Cool, I guess. But I have been using pocket calculators for 15 years or so that don't require battery replacement or shaking. Remember solar/light power? So is this an improvement, or just something new to play with? Or am I just playing Devil's Advocate to freely?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by dbudde
    This would imply that one had to actually get off one's butt now and again. I think you give too much credit to the average consumer.
    You're right! I don't know, I guess you could shake your feet while you're sitting if you want . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Cool, I guess. But I have been using pocket calculators for 15 years or so that don't require battery replacement or shaking. Remember solar/light power? So is this an improvement, or just something new to play with?
    Yeah, seems like more something to play with. Since you're going to need light to see the calculator anyway, you might as well use light as a power source. This won't be replacing anything anytime soon . . . or ever . . . unless Gary seriously releases that special version of JABB! If you use the principle to power everything in a house though, it could be a great way to get someone to exercise!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Cool, I guess. But I have been using pocket calculators for 15 years or so that don't require battery replacement or shaking. Remember solar/light power? So is this an improvement, or just something new to play with? Or am I just playing Devil's Advocate to freely?

Richard
    This does have the benefit of being able to work underground, or in a darkroom...

For now, definitely something to play with. Even with batteries, my TI Pocket Geek calculator that I got in 1991 has only had 1 battery change. Really.

However, like any developing research, it's the potential for where it could lead that's exciting. Imagine electric cars that are recharged by the motion of the car itself? Or refining the technology to such a microscopic scale that an iPod would recharge by the motion of you walking around?

Best of all, think of the fast food industry. Much like the old Polaroids that combined taking pictures and developing them in one unit, we could have portable, self contained food devices that generated the power to cook through the motion, and allowed us to have fresh, hot pastries anywhere we were. I've even got a catchy name for it - the Shake & Bake.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum