• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Sony Suspends Production of DRM 'Rootkit' CDs

Share/Bookmark

Sony Suspends Production of DRM 'Rootkit' CDs

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Not sure if this was covered, but figured it would be worthy of it's own thread.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,39020381,39236911,00.htm

Thanks to numnutz on Cubase.net for supplying that link.

Cheers.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Sony Suspends Production of DRM 'Rootkit' CDs

Note that they're only "temporarily" suspending production. Also, that they're displaying no apparent regard at all for consumers' legal copyright. A consumer has the legal right to copy a CD until he drains his bank account for blanks, as long as he does not subsequently share them. He has the legal right to load whatever music or format into whatever device for listening he chooses.

Sony is trying to rewrite the contract, to change the way we are allowed to listen to music.

I urge people to use their voices to continue opposing all forms of content copy protection.

The MPAA/RIAA have also approached congress with a legislative template that would, if passed, effectively eliminate analog input in consumer recording devices.

Enough is enough. This "war" on piracy is becoming as ludicrous as the nuclear arms race of the 1960's and 70's. It is a collossal waste.

Clear, impassioned arguments are needed from people who understand that integrity is a two-way street. Technology is being used as an excuse to shackle legitimate consumer rights, and to furthermore extract information from those consumers that corporations have no rights to obtain.

Please take the time to write to your representatives, and to express your opposition to content copy protection schemes. It is high time that Sony and other corporations stop placing the blame for their failing business models on the consumers that pay their bills.

Hey Bruce,

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    He [A consumer] has the legal right to load whatever music or format into whatever device for listening he chooses.
    I am pretty sure that is absolutely correct; if it's not I would be shocked.

A consumer has the legal right to copy a CD until he drains his bank account for blanks, as long as he does not subsequently share them.
    THAT is incorrect, sorry. I am not a lawyer, and am not trying to undermine what you are saying. In fact, I completely agree that that is the way it SHOULD be. However, the law does in fact prohibit consumers from making copies - ANY copies, even ones to be used in the privacy of their own homes. Maybe that will be perceived by some as being ethically/morally/whetever wrong, but it is in fact what the law says.

Cheers.

How is the line drawn here between protecting music content on CDs and software developers protecting their programs with ever-devious means?

Mark

All rights of the producer and of the owner of the work reproduced reserved. Unauthorised copying, hiring, lending, public performance and broadcasting of this record prohibited.

This appears in one form or other on all recordings. We do not have any consumer rights.. we own the disc, the jewel case and the inserts... the recording on the disc belongs to the owner of the copyright.

Sure, it's not likely that we'll be prosecuted for making a copy to play in the car, or on an walkman - in fact, companies like Sony virtually encourage it! I think we've been fooling ourselves if we thought illegal downloading and 'sharing' could go on indefinitely. I'm not supporting the idea of record companies installing software on my computer, but I cannot hold it against them for trying to protect their property.

mts

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mts
    I think we've been fooling ourselves if we thought illegal downloading and 'sharing' could go on indefinitely. I'm not supporting the idea of record companies installing software on my computer, but I cannot hold it against them for trying to protect their property.

mts
    To be crystal clear, I am the last person who would advocate illegal downloading or sharing. I don't do it, and I don't sit quietly when someone else does it.

But Sony has put a toe in the water, and it is of EXTREME importance that people express clear, well written objections to their political representatives. At present, public opinion is running strong against this kind of violation of consumer rights. We need to do everything we can as highly educated consumers to provide our representatives with the kinds of arguments they can use in debate about this topic.

Have no delusions about this...it WILL come up, and the kinds of laws which are passed will reflect the best arguments presented to our representatives. So if Sony, et. al., present arguments by expensive attorneys, and the only opposing arguments are outcries from less-than-educated consumers, guess who wins?

This is important. Write.

Quote Originally Posted by mts
    I'm not supporting the idea of record companies installing software on my computer, but I cannot hold it against them for trying to protect their property.
    I would never hold it against them either. However, it is HOW they choose to protect themselves and their artists that is the real issue.

Cheers.

At present, public opinion is running strong against this kind of violation of consumer rights.
    I agree with you, but I can't help but think that public opinion should also be running strong against the violation of IP rights, but that's not the case at all. It pisses me off sometimes.

Hmmm... seems like my question got a little side-stepped so I am going to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEdmonds
    How is the line drawn here between protecting music content on CDs and software developers protecting their programs with ever-devious means?

Mark
    Anyone? Logically, what is the difference and why is one acceptable and one not?

Mark

There is no difference, I think it's probably a matter of convenience. Imagine if we had to download a password everytime we wanted to play a CD... believe me, the industry is desperate and this will drive them to absurd measures as a form of self preservation - remember SCMS and what a pain in the ~~~~~ that was?

mts

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast