• Help
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Topic: A further attempt of Solo Sax

Share/Bookmark

A further attempt of Solo Sax

Here is a further attempt of Solo Tenor-Saxophone:
    http://www.wizardserver.de/audiodemo...rSax_Blues.mp3
    http://www.wizardserver.de/audiodemo..._BluesSolo.mp3

It´s mostly played in real time with the sustain program.
    Then, dynamics and playing techniques were edited with keyswitches and velocity.

What do you think?
    (except Bruce, I know what you think ;-) )

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Re: A further attempt of Solo Sax

There are enough life-like notes in here to suggest that if you wrote for the samples it could sound OK.
    There are enough keyboardy sounding bits to suggest you cant just write what you want and then use the Samples.
    Good effort though, some signs of progress here.
    regards

Sounds great compared to anything I've already have. I second that some of the articulations sounded a bit keyboardish. It seems that the solo sax and the pedal steel remain holy grails for developers. Nice work.

Yes, indeed!

Very nice, for the most part. Some of the runs were so good, they made me wonder why other, less midi-unfriendly passages weren't as convincing....

Are the runs sampled or sequenced? Did you do any legato programming in your instrument design? (dunno what sampler/editor you use....)

I'd be curious to know about the number of articulations and velocity layers you used.

Good job,

Belbin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

God, have you guys ever even HEARD a saxophone????????

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    i sure did, and i gotta say, this sample comes closest to the real thing as i've heard as of yet. which doesnt mean that it's indistinguishable from a real sax of course, but you gotta give the guy some credit. it's not half-bad considering that sax is one of the most difficult things to recapture in a sampled instrument.

in conclusion: nice effort, but not quite there yet! i'd like to listen to the finished product, though.

Pleeeaase.............

I really thought a few days ago that the "real vs sampled" debate was over (from the last topic about this....)
    Please, allow us poor sample players unable to play the sax, or to hire a sax player, enjoy this library, which, I agree with other posters, is full of potential and as close as possible to the real thing (at least to our uneducated ears).
    This kind of topic seems to always trigger a very epidermic reaction in you, which is legitimate as a real musician, but seems very irrelevant in a SAMPLE LIBRARIES DISCUSSION FORUM.
    On our side, we may promise that we will replace sampled brass with real players as often as we have the opportunity,
    and,
    on your side, why don't you grant us the small and cheap pleasure to think that we can do some interesting (even if humble and temporary) stuff with sampled libraries of this level of completion, without saying in a heartbeat :
    "God, have you guys ever even HEARD a saxophone???????".

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    which is legitimate as a real musician, but seems very irrelevant in a SAMPLE LIBRARIES DISCUSSION FORUM
    Wow. I think I rest my case.

Wow. I think I rest my case.
    Bruce - you're being unfair. You could have easily said ' have you guys ever heard a string section'?

Well, I just listened to Chris's demo and then straightaway to some various jazz sax mp3s, then to the demo again.

I think I'd agree with the sentiments already expressed, that there are some things captured extremely well, and some others that are miles away and sound totally "keyboardish". I have to admit I think you could be a bit more generous about the things that ARE captured well, since he has really gotten a lot closer with these than anyone else has.

The problem seems to me to be attack, rather than tone. He's done a great job on the sheer variety of sax tone qualities, but there's something about the way really sax players can create a really rounded attack to each note that makes the line swing - it's neither pure legato nor a really hard attack, but something in between that is infinitely variable. I noticed it particularly listening to ballads, moreso than loud up-tempo tracks where, because the general sound is probably louder, the character of the attack is less noticeable.

I also wonder how much of the problems in Chris's demo has to do with the artificiality of having to program these things in, and whether, with the best will in the world for capturing enough nuances, it's never going to be possible to really make a line swing just because of how contrived the process is. I dunno, but that would be one explanation why some bits of the demo sound so good and others don't.

Anyway, I'd certainly agree that there is a lot of ground to cover in the quest for a good sampled sax - more so than just about any other instrument. But I'm still excited that Chris has covered quite a bit of this ground in the development of this library. Even if it's still only a fraction of what needs to be done, "the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step" etc. etc. blah blah...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast