• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gregarri Finn (I)

Share/Bookmark

Gregarri Finn (I)

This is the first movement only. The rest of the sound is rattling around my head in a rather nebulous form, but I expect the second movement to be born in a week or so.

The actual writing of this movement took only a few days, but I had put a lot of thought into it before I began the writing. It begins and ends in A minor. I would have preferred some other key, but it just would not sound right, so A minor it is. Really, it is a frequently shifting tonality, with the dominant tonality being A minor. Since much of the piece is in a fairly low register, it will require a piano of sufficient quality to avoid muddiness, and provide the clarity.

The origin of the title is this. Greg Henderschott, Cakewalk founder. Gary Garritan, GPO developer. The Brothers Finn, Sibelius all stars. These people are the ones who made it possible for my ideas to become a reality. I could have done without them, but the time and effort required would have been incredibly longer, and I will be eternally indebted to these people for the boost they have provided.

I have enjoyed listening to this so many times that it has delayed the writing of the remaining movements!

The link will lead to three choices.

At the top, you will see a blue button to play the mp3.

Just below that, you will see the score, if you have the Scorch plugin. Otherwise, a blank where the score ought to be. Here you can view the score and listen to the Scorch playback (GM), not a good sound, usually.

Below this, under the heading of details, you will see a choice to download the mp3 file, which is the best choice if you want to hear, and don't have broadband. The mp3 is the GPO Steinway.

Gregarri Finn Sonata (I)
    http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin...?scoreid=77786

Richard

Re: Gregarri Finn (I)

Bravo, Richard! An excellent piece. Your rhythms and bold harmonies contrasted with the triadic main theme are fascinating. It begins almost like a 19th century piece then becomes very original.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Richard,

Nice piece! I like the shifts from driving, repeated triads to the wandering/migrating progressions that are rhythmically more complex. Gives it an Ivesian quality. As it was to a Gregarri - did you intentionally quote Grieg? A musical and liguistic pun...I guess that air in the redwoods do something for the imagination!

Enjoyed the listen.

R. Pearl

Excellent work, Richard. I wish I had better piano chops so I could attempt to play it! I really like the way it rhythmically and harmonically develops. The syncopation is really effective towards the end. Thanks for sharing this!

>As it was to a Gregarri - did you intentionally quote Grieg? <

No. It is close to the opening of the Grieg concerto in A Minor, but only because it uses the same two chords. I use the two chords as intro, bridge, and final cadence. I tried to avoid A minor, because it is so strongly associated in my mind (and quite a few others) with the Grieg Concerto, It simply did not sound right in any other key. It does drift about a bit, thematically and tonally. Gregarri is a blend of Greg and Garrritan.

I had so much pleasure writing and listening to this blend of centuries! I am happy that others are now enjoying it. Now I can get cracking on the 2d movement after I come back from my flu shot.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    >As it was to a Gregarri - did you intentionally quote Grieg? <

No. It is close to the opening of the Grieg concerto in A Minor, but only because it uses the same two chords. I use the two chords as intro, bridge, and final cadence. I tried to avoid A minor, because it is so strongly associated in my mind (and quite a few others) with the Grieg Concerto, It simply did not sound right in any other key. It does drift about a bit, thematically and tonally. Gregarri is a blend of Greg and Garrritan.

I had so much pleasure writing and listening to this blend of centuries! I am happy that others are now enjoying it. Now I can get cracking on the 2d movement after I come back from my flu shot.

Richard
    Richard,

It's also the insistent fifths that remind me of Grieg (hey, it's a compliment!).
    John Cage once said (quoting loosely): "When I was young, I liked Grieg; then I discovered that I just liked fifths..."

All the best,

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl
    Richard,

It's also the insistent fifths that remind me of Grieg (hey, it's a compliment!).
    John Cage once said (quoting loosely): "When I was young, I liked Grieg; then I discovered that I just liked fifths..."

All the best,

Ron
    It was not taken as anything else.

I had not thought about the 5ths. I am fond of alternating 4ths and 5ths.

Richard

I too say BRAVO! I enjoyed this very much. You have such a unique style. And, yes, I like the fifths too!!! Although, Grieg never crossed my mind !

Kind Regards

LouisD

Go Back to forum