• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Let's collect all GPOA tidbits and facts! (Who wants to help?)

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb "GPO Advanced" (GPOA), "Garritan Strings 2" (GOS2): All the facts, rumors, FAQs

Hello everybody!

As much as I am looking forward to JABB, I also crave for GPOA (Even though it's release is many, many months ahead...). But to fill the time I would like to know as much about it as possible. So: Why don't we collect all the tidbits and hard facts we already know about it? No rumors, just what we definitely know! Let's create a central resource for all we already know.

1) GPOA will include selected Brass instruments from ProjectSAM.
    We dont know anything yet about: Which samples, which instruments, which special effects and articulations. It only has been hinted that there will be plenty more than in GPO. Wether the new instruments will be fixed ensembles like in ProjectSAM libraries or recorded at various distances is unknown at this time. You can read more about it here.

2) GPOA will include strings which were intented to be published as GOS2.
    It has been hinted that at least some of the content which was meant to become GOS2 would be included into GPOA. We obviously assume that the ensemble building will be present again. There was also mention of special effects like flageolet or slides and the inclusion or more solo strings (unconfirmed). You can read a little about it here.

3) There will be an upgrade path for existing GPO users.
    We all know that Gary never ever let a single customer down.

4) GPOA will have programming which will be even more advanced than GPO.
    Since Tom hopkins and the other magicians are at work this can be taken for granted.

5) GPOA will be based on a Kontakt 2 engine.
    Or will it be a KoMpakt 2 engine?

6) GPOA will inculde a mysterious and not yet unveiled "new technology to bring virtual orchestration to a whole new level".
    Stated by Mr. Garritan himself in this thread. The audience fell into a mad frenzy of feverish chants and body convulsions following his announcment.

7) GPOA will include classical saxophones and other special orchestral instruments.
    The between the "other" instruments rumored to be included are: Euphonium and more percussion instruments. The actual instruments, their number, their articulations, etc. are completely unknown at this time.

9) GPOA will need about 2GB of RAM in most applications.
    If you consider the expected improvements, and that 2 GB are perfect for GPO, then this is amazing. This is what Tom Hopkins said: "Just because GPOA will contain many more instrument choices doesn't necessarily mean that you will need to load a greater number of instruments for a given piece of music. While some of the new choices may place greater RAM demands on your computer I'll attempt to keep that to a minimum to be consistent with the GPO approach to programming. This is not to say that more RAM wouldn't be useful - more is always better - but I don't want to give the impression that the GPOA instruments will be massively larger than the present GPO instruments. I would think that a total of 2GB would be sufficient for the vast majority of uses."

10) When will GPOA be released? Release date?
    Aaah, the most pressing question... Also the one that is most difficult to answer! The Garritan-website has a statement on the news page that says: "Expected early 2006". If we apply Murphy's laws and common sense about the problems and disasters connected to creating such a complex product to this date we can count on a December 2006 or early 2007 release. If you mentally adjust for a summer 2007 release, you might be pleasantly suprised with an early present. Of course this is my PERSONAL opinion, made up by my own thoughts, and it is not based on any info that was leaked, confirmed or hinted.

11) GOS2 will feature the ability to keyswitch between the same note played various strings.
    As pointed out by the man himself in this thread (Original Quote: "Sul altra corda switching is already implemented in GOS2"), GOS2 will have a unique and very cool feature! You will be able to keyswitch played notes between various strings (e.g.: Sul G, D, ...). This opens up a new world for sampled string performances and hopefully will bring even more emotion to sampled strings.
    Do you have any other facts, that need to be added? Is something in the facts abov wrong or unconfirmed? Please tell me!

p.s.: To Gary and the moderators: If this thread is against your intentions or disturbs you in any way then please do not hesitate to inform me and I will delete it!
    Last edited by musicpete; 10-03-2006 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Including more facts+ better title
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Re: Let's collect all GPOA tidbits and facts! (Who wants to help?)

GPOA will include classical saxophones, euphonium, more solo strings, more percussion, and a left-handed alto Heckelclarina.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Flexatone ...
    Styxx

GPOA will cure the common cold

Quote Originally Posted by musicpete
    p.s.: To Gary and the moderators: If this thread is against your intentions or disturbs you in any way then please do not hesitate to inform me and I will delete it!
    musicpete,
    This thread does not go against our intentions nor disturbs us in any way. We have been dropping hints along the way. Almost all of what you list is true. I wish I could say more but I've learned through experience that there are competitors who are eager . We have developed new technology to bring virtual orchestration to a whole new level. We want to do something that will be the next leap and stand shoulders above the pack. We are on the right path.

Gary Garritan
    {edit }

Thumbs up Re: Let's collect all GPOA tidbits and facts! (Who wants to help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    musicpete,
    This thread does not go against our intentions nor disturbs us in any way. We have been dropping hints along the way. Almost all of what you list is true. I wish I could say more but I've learned through experience that there are competitors who are eager . We have developed new technology to bring virtual orchestration to a whole new level. We want to do something that will be the next leap and stand shoulders above the pack. We are on the right path.

Gay Garritan
    I don't know. This sounds like one of those late night info commercials trying to lure me into buying not one but two videos, "Garritan gone wild!"
    But Wait! Use your credit card and get GPOA and GPOA PLUS! Yes that’s right! GPOA PLUS comes with all you need PLUS fifteen different size flexatones ranging from teeny little finger flexi's to the huge mammoth THUNDER FLEXATONE! Awe your friends with this earth shattering sample!
    BUT WAIT! Use your friends credit card and well not only send you the stainless steel 15 Flexatone sample pack … we’ll send you the quarter size student model Solo Stradivarius Violin software absolutely … (well maybe not absolutely) free (bow and rosin extra)(Void where prohibited by Lucy Lawless)
    So send $1995.00 now to
    PO Box JuanMoTime
    Ferryburns, Beeffalo, New Nork
    14u812
    BUT WAIT! Use your grandmothers JC Penny credit card and we'll send you a copy of Beeffalo's favorite virtual chicken wings sampled library of smells! Pop this DVD into your drive and instantly smell Mild, Medium, Hot and even suicidal hot sauce oozes out of your midi and fire wire outputs!
    Styxx

Here's a little something about RAM requirements, direct from the fingers of Tom Hopkins.

Wink Re: Let's collect all GPOA tidbits and facts! (Who wants to help?)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    GPOA will include classical saxophones, euphonium, more solo strings, more percussion, and a left-handed alto Heckelclarina.
    Here's another rumor: GPOA will include the following mystery horns:

Enjoy,

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Talking Re: Let's collect all GPOA tidbits and facts! (Who wants to help?)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Let me know if you find a heckelclarina, left handed or otherwise...

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

GPOA will offer the first *complete* selection of Toroidal Flessbenders (yes, including the low Bb!) and you'll be able to keyswitch between butterscotch and strawberry. We will even include some complimentary Handy Wipes to clean up after you keyswitch. I only mention this to whet your appetite for GPOA and make you want to get your sticky little fingers on it. Sorry Gary, if this was supposed to remain a secret.

Tom

P.S. Before the question arises: Additional flavors will come in the update.

Go Back to forum