• Register
  • Help

Topic: 8bit music

Share/Bookmark

8bit music

I have to create a project that sounds like retro game music....japanese ala supermario brothers. Delivery can be digital files (uncompressed wav or aiff file) so i would like to stay in my sequencer of choice (logic7).
    is there a good library of these sounds? or synths i could use? or samples? or sound modules? what are your suggestions?

Re: 8bit music

EastWest just came out with a library that would work called Nostalgia, but if you want to stay true to the original sound, I'd recommend getting ApulSoft's Chip32.

http://apulsoft.ch/freeports/index.php

Run 4 instances of that plug, and you've got a pretty accurate representation of an original NES.

I was once after the same thing in this thread.

Unfortunately that thread caters almost exclusively to PC users, so it doesn't do much good for locash.

I love the Tweakbench stuff, but he's PC/VST only (and vocally anti-Mac), so it isn't for everyone.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by locash
    I have to create a project that sounds like retro game music....japanese ala supermario brothers. Delivery can be digital files (uncompressed wav or aiff file) so i would like to stay in my sequencer of choice (logic7).
    is there a good library of these sounds? or synths i could use? or samples? or sound modules? what are your suggestions?
    I think you could stick with really simple sine-based lines, and then just bit-reduce a mix down to 8-bit. You might use some dither as well, just so it's a bit smoothed out, and not so obnoxious sounding.

Then, reload that file into a new project, and save it at your delivery format. It will be a high-res file at delivery, but will retain the low-res "jaggies" that give it the sound you need.

I would stick exclusively with ES1, ES2 and keep the sampled stuff to a minimum. Logic has a BitCrusher plugin that I would run on every track individually (not on the whole mix) to downgrade the bits to 8 (or even 4).

Don't use reverb, if you do only use Silver on a really bad setting, but really you shouldn't use any reverb.

For a final touch you could run the mix through Vinyl (free plugin, do a search) on the 80's setting.
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

great thanks everyone....great tips midphase. another logic user?

ohhh yeah! Logic is my weapon of choice!
    >>Kays
    http://www.musicbykays.com
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Go Back to forum