• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Yamaha P-70

Share/Bookmark

New Yamaha P-70

This looks interesting. Anybody had their hands on one yet?

yamaha p70

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: New Yamaha P-70

I played one at Guitar Center. Sounds nice for what it is, but it is definitely very limited on controller functions. It's basically a 10-sound home/parlor e-piano, sans the more elaborate stand/cabinetry usually found on those things.

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy
    This looks interesting. Anybody had their hands on one yet?
    No - but the one I am looking at is the Yamaha S90 ES. My Korg SG Pro X is very old now and getting clunky. This S70 looks good for the price though - for a studio midi controller, should be more than adequate. I might go insane though and get the new Nord Stage.

I'm with you Paul. The S90ES or the Stage. Let us know what you come up with. BTW KB mag reviewed them both last month. Should be available online if you haven't seen it.
    JP

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymio
    I'm with you Paul. The S90ES or the Stage. Let us know what you come up with. BTW KB mag reviewed them both last month. Should be available online if you haven't seen it.
    JP
    I will Jimmy - and many thanks for the information.

Just a quick personal view of the 'why's of keyboard interfaces based on a message I received. May seem all too obvious to many, but the reason I like a keyboard that has built in sounds - which the Stage and P90 ES have in abundance - as opposed to just a 'silent' midi controller as it were - is simply that when writing, it's easier to just call up a sound or sounds there and then, plug in the headphones - rather than mess around with sound cards and computer rigs. That comes later.

Apologies for stating the bleeding obvious - just my own habit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    You can't go wrong with that keyboard action for all-around performance. It's weighted enough to be easily controlled for playing piano-like instruments, but nimble enough for everything else (e.g. fast string lines, organ parts, glisses, etc., etc.). Yamaha has one of the most consistent actions on the market as far as velocity response from note to note (which is extremely important for accurately playing multi-layer patches that respond to velocity).

Lee Blaske
    I went for the S90 ES - that didn't take long.

I got the S90ES about 3 weeks ago

sweet unit.

Made a desk for it:

Quote Originally Posted by sghoughton
    I got the S90ES about 3 weeks ago
    sweet unit.
    Made a desk for it:
    Very elegant - how do you like the action? I take the view that there's not really any such thing as the perfect action for any given player - but generally, a reasonable action in the first place, allows more room for keyboard players to adapt there own style.

I was happy with almost any of the yamahas i tried. I was actually going to get the S08 and had it ordered but they got the ES in before that so i took that one.

I really only wanted it for a keyboard with a piano feel as i have another for synth stuff. Quite like it and the sounds are quite nice in it too - although i use it mostly to control the PC. The ES with TBO is a fantastic combination. You can play for hours with that combo.

I tried the CME UF8 but everything i read about it seemed to be true. The UF7 on down though i liked for their non weighted feel and i may get one of those next.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by sghoughton
    The ES with TBO is a fantastic combination. You can play for hours with that combo.
    Just curious. How do the ES piano sounds stack up against TBO?
    JP

Go Back to forum