• Register
  • Help

Topic: Midi controller musings

Share/Bookmark

Midi controller musings

I've just got after sitting in traffic for two hours. As is often the case, my mind was drifting over a number of topics - and I started to wonder about some possible midi controller technology that may already exist but if it does I have not heard about it:

Not everyone can play keyboards in realtime, and often a keyboard is not the most suitable way to "play" non-keyboard samples. However, the technology exists for computers to take a single audio line and convert it to a midi pitch value ($10 electronic tuners do this, and there is a basic audio to pitch convertor included in Finale). I am guessing that it would not be too difficult to translate audio volume to midi volume at the same time.

So would it not be possible to create a software midi controller that takes an audio signal through a microphone from a clarinet or trumpet that converts the audio data to midi data and send that data to a sample player, or sequencer? For GPO, the midi volume data could be routed to the mod wheel CC.

With pitch shifting functionality included, a non-keyboardist could play al the samples on the instrument of their choice.

I'm guessing that the answer is that either something like this already exists - or people have tried it and latency is a problem. However, I need to be convinced that this is not a good idea!
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Re: Midi controller musings

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    I've just got after sitting in traffic for two hours. As is often the case, my mind was drifting over a number of topics - and I started to wonder about some possible midi controller technology that may already exist but if it does I have not heard about it:

Not everyone can play keyboards in realtime, and often a keyboard is not the most suitable way to "play" non-keyboard samples. However, the technology exists for computers to take a single audio line and convert it to a midi pitch value ($10 electronic tuners do this, and there is a basic audio to pitch convertor included in Finale). I am guessing that it would not be too difficult to translate audio volume to midi volume at the same time.

So would it not be possible to create a software midi controller that takes an audio signal through a microphone from a clarinet or trumpet that converts the audio data to midi data and send that data to a sample player, or sequencer? For GPO, the midi volume data could be routed to the mod wheel CC.

With pitch shifting functionality included, a non-keyboardist could play al the samples on the instrument of their choice.

I'm guessing that the answer is that either something like this already exists - or people have tried it and latency is a problem. However, I need to be convinced that this is not a good idea!
    Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for , but you might want to check out Melodyne . Digital Performer can also do this. But Melodyne is probably closest to what you are looking for.

Re: Midi controller musings

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.

Hi Richard,

There are lots of pitch to MIDI converters available which may include the volume feature you require....if I understand you correctly. Type 'pitch to midi' in Google. Here are some that I've looked at over the years:

http://www.digital-ear.com/digital-ear/midi.asp

http://www.intelliscore.net/index.html?src=gpitch

or a piece of hardware.....

http://tomscarff.tripod.com/pitch_mi...ch_to_midi.htm

Cheers

Frank

Go Back to forum