• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Database Program?

Share/Bookmark

Question Database Program?

Hi All,

I am beginning to rack up a number of compositions in different genres and styles as I continue to score for films, etc., as well as samples and clips. I'm beginning to see the use of these as a library to use for liscencing, as well as for my own future use, but I need a database program that I could search under different queries - ie: scary, happy, sad, OR instrumental, rock, orchestral, OR guitars, flutes, voice, OR 120 bpm, 80 bpm, 160 bpm, etc ... where different compositions may fit in any number of categories, thus making it cumbersome to create a number of file folders...

Any suggestions? What do you use?

Thanks!!

Adrian

Re: Database Program?

A database sounds like an interesting idea! Part of my job is designing databases (Windows or web), and I would be happy to devlelop such a program.

Can you give me a detailed spec on what would be needed? Exactly what information do you want to record? How detailed do you want the searching to be - the queries you suggest would be easy to implement.

I'd like to hear from any others who might find such an application useful.

Tony,

An Access database I am developing is aimed at music ensemble librarians - focussed on my own big band library at the moment.

Out of 700+ charts I want to be able to search on Composer, arranger, soloist(s), tempo, style, pitch ranges, total length, last time performed, etc., Obviously designing the database isn't too tricky - extracting all the detail from the scores to create the database in the first place is the most onerous task .

When it comes to programming a concert (in the sense of choosing the pieces to play) it will make it easier to find, say, a mid-tempo tenor sax feature that doesn't tax the trumpets too much (so they can cope with the Maynard Ferguson chart which is coming up next!) that the band hasn;t performed in the last 6 months.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Richard, that sounds very interesting. How far have you got with the project? Would you be willing to share such an application?

I have been looking recently at a web based search engine which can parse the meta data associated with MP3's but I'm not sure if enough useful information could be included to be as concise as you would require.

Any other thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by aelliscomposer
    Hi All,

I am beginning to rack up a number of compositions in different genres and styles as I continue to score for films, etc., as well as samples and clips. I'm beginning to see the use of these as a library to use for liscencing, as well as for my own future use, but I need a database program that I could search under different queries - ie: scary, happy, sad, OR instrumental, rock, orchestral, OR guitars, flutes, voice, OR 120 bpm, 80 bpm, 160 bpm, etc ... where different compositions may fit in any number of categories, thus making it cumbersome to create a number of file folders...

Any suggestions? What do you use?

Thanks!!

Adrian

Well, I have been using the same data base program since about 1986, and I can design a file that will do all that you have asked. The only problem is that the screen size is a bit small on my XP machine but is okay on my Win 98. The software is Q&A, version 2, I think. It is still available, in a version 8 or later. I use it mostly to keep tabs on my 2000 + books and 5000 + recordings. Seems to me that the data base included in MS Works would also do the job. The reason I don't use it for my music compositions is that it is a demanding task to keep it current. The idea of it is good, and some day I will probably work up a good file. But not today.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by tmonaghan
    A database sounds like an interesting idea! Part of my job is designing databases (Windows or web), and I would be happy to devlelop such a program.

Can you give me a detailed spec on what would be needed? Exactly what information do you want to record? How detailed do you want the searching to be - the queries you suggest would be easy to implement.

I'd like to hear from any others who might find such an application useful.
    Wow, Tony, this is quite unexpected!

Well, I would imagine that many with more experience than I would want to have some input on this as well! I have just begun thinking about this, so my input may be limited. Perhaps there is a way to make categories flexible - ie: perhaps you can create your own, with tags being associated with new music files as you create them?

Categories I would imagine helpful:

1. Tempo
    2. Instrumentation
    3. Lead Instrument
    4. Style
    5. Genre
    6. Mood/Feel
    7. Vocals/Lyric content
    8. Key

There is a non-music centered database I have heard of called 'Filemaker Pro 8' - which offers a 'Creatives' option for us left-brainers. It looks great, and is very integrative - it is a business oriented program which includes contact databases, project management, and other useful apps. The one thing making me hesitate is the hefty $499.00 US pricetag. Yikers!

Richard, thanks for the suggestions - I'll look into those!

Adrian
    Last edited by aelliscomposer; 11-16-2005 at 04:19 PM. Reason: missed information

Richard, that sounds very interesting. How far have you got with the project? Would you be willing to share such an application?

I have been looking recently at a web based search engine which can parse the meta data associated with MP3's but I'm not sure if enough useful information could be included to be as concise as you would require.

Any other thoughts?
    Well, the program does not generate stand alone data base. It requires the Q & A software. I will try to find a way to give you a better picture of it. I do have a link to the current mfr of the product, and the price is around $200.00.

The software also has a word processor built in, but I have not used it for many years.

Q&A Software
    http://www.pcta-usa.com/qa.htm

Check it out, and I will also try to give a better, concise description.

Richard

ADDENDUM:
    It just occurred to me that I can generate a DBIV file and send it to you, if you want, and if you can read DBIV (or DBIII) files. That would give you a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    It just occurred to me that I can generate a DBIV file and send it to you, if you want, and if you can read DBIV (or DBIII) files. That would give you a good idea.
    A DBIV file would give me an very good idea of how your application works. If you can send me the file minus any data that would be helpful.

If I was to create an application it would have to be stand-alone. There's little point in creating an Access or Filemaker app since you would need the parent software. Unfortunately I can only develop software for Windows.

I'm off to start tinkering...

A DBIV file would give me an very good idea of how your application works. If you can send me the file minus any data that would be helpful.

If I was to create an application it would have to be stand-alone. There's little point in creating an Access or Filemaker app since you would need the parent software. Unfortunately I can only develop software for Windows.

Okay, if this flu shot reaction lets me think clearly a little longer, I will try to get it off to you in an hour or so.

Richard

Well, the flu shot must have addled my thinking. I can export my data as DBIII, but that is is. I don't know what good an empty data file would be, but tell me what you think.

Richard

Go Back to forum