• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: First Lake effect snow storm!

Share/Bookmark

Talking First Lake effect snow storm!

11/16/05 Beeffalo's first Lake effect snow storm complete with lightning and a stupid snowman belly whoppin down the street! Yeah, I know...big deal. But the kids are all running around screaming, "No school! No school!" Eh, maybe.
    Heck, just thought I would share.

By the way ... I get my PC back tomorrow!
    Styxx

Re: First Lake effect snow storm!

Hey, I love snow! I'm getting ready to do an undergraduate thesis on snowstorms. I have been too busy to look into the lake effect setup for tomorrow, so I can't give you a forecast. Sorry. I'll try to keep you guys updated throughout the winter for big storms. And on that note, anyone in coastal New England this upcoming Monday night, the models are predicting the first nor' easter of the season (very early for this.) But forecast models have a mind of their own most of the time. We'll see how it all works out.

Happy Snow,

-Brian

Well, I don't know what you guys are talking about. What's a Lake Effect Snow Storm? We did not seem to have such things when I was on Staten Island for a couple of years. I have never heard of them regarding the Sierra Nevada Mountains, or anywhere, really.

Actually, I think snow is beautiful, lovely to look at through the window of a warm room, or from the window of a fast moving airplane. The mountains in Alaska are gorgeous from the air, but on the ground, I formed a different opinion.

Richard

I had the same question - Ricky Lake? Veronica? The answer is blowing in the wind. Or on the sheet ice...

I'm SO glad I don't live in that stuff anymore.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by AtmosMan
    ... And on that note, anyone in coastal New England this upcoming Monday night, the models are predicting the first nor' easter of the season (very early for this.) But forecast models have a mind of their own most of the time. We'll see how it all works out.

Happy Snow,

-Brian
    Arrgh! And so it all begins again...time to get out the shovels. At least I've got my all-wheel drive Honda Element to get through it this year!

Jim

Man, we’re being blasted! Woke up this morning to at least 2 feet of snow and both cars covered beyond recognition! School closings started trickling in little by little with ours being the very last to close AFTER MOST of the teachers made it in! The superintendent who makes the final decision? He's home warm safe and with plenty of coffee.
    Me, my car is stuck out back in the parking lot, the lot has not been plowed and I am here waiting for a stupid stage to be delivered (as per the principle's request). Did I mention all except for myself and a few other's stuck, have left for home AS WELL AS THE PRINCIPLE!
    OK, after all that happened down in New Orleans and the South I promised myself I this wasn't going to get to me this winter......................BULL SHIGHST! I will not be able to take one more winter of this abuse! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    I'm moving to a warmer, dryer, nicer climate with opportunities!
    Styxx

Talking Re: First Lake effect snow storm!

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    11/16/05 Beeffalo's first Lake effect snow storm complete with lightning and a stupid snowman belly whoppin down the street! Yeah, I know...big deal. But the kids are all running around screaming, "No school! No school!" Eh, maybe.
    Heck, just thought I would share.

By the way ... I get my PC back tomorrow!
    Well, it was so warm here n Southern Calif. we slept with the window open.

:-)
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Man, we’re being blasted! Woke up this morning to at least 2 feet of snow and both cars covered beyond recognition!
    I'm sooooo jealous...we're still running the air conditioner and watching out for tropical depressions!

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    I'm sooooo jealous...we're still running the air conditioner and watching out for tropical depressions!

;-)
    Seriously, "Baby it's cold outside!"
    Styxx

Thank you SoundSmith, for the research link, I saw this in there, "and fall rates as high as 28 cm (11 in) per hour have been reported"!

Whoa!

Hang in there Styxx!

Go Back to forum