• Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Mission Accomplished!

Share/Bookmark

Talking Mission Accomplished!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/11/...ney/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Vice President Dick Cheney on Wednesday lambasted Democrats accusing the Bush administration of misleading the country on prewar intelligence, calling their allegation "one of the most dishonest and reprehensible charges ever aired in this city."

"What we're hearing now is some politicians contradicting their own statements and making a play for political advantage in the middle of a war," Cheney said. "The saddest part is that our people in uniform have been subjected to these cynical and pernicious falsehoods day in and day out.

"The president and I cannot prevent certain politicians from losing their memory, or their backbone. But we're not going to sit by and let them rewrite history. We're going to continue throwing their own words back at them."

War? What war? I thought the mission was accomplished?

Maybe he means the war on terror? Hmm. Seems too me that Cheney and his boys are making all the money and recruiting for the enemy. But maybe I’m just not a patriot…"Bring 'em on!"

Some Republicans, including Arizona Sen. John McCain and Nebraska Sen. Chuck Hagel, have also criticized the Bush administration's handling of the war.

Hagel on Tuesday defended the right to criticize the White House's war policies in a speech to the Council on Foreign Relations.

"The Bush administration must understand that each American has a right to question our policies in Iraq and should not be demonized for disagreeing with them," Hagel said, according to a transcript on the council's Web site.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic -- to not question your government is unpatriotic," said Hagel, who was decorated for his military service in Vietnam
    There! Now there is some backbone!

(feel free to disagree)

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Re: Mission Accomplished!

2 different things:

1) Admin lied and twisted intelligence to convince senators to vote for authorization for this use of force that they otherwise would not have.

2) Questions and criticisms of how that war was conducted. (ie..not enough troops, too many troops, need to leave, need to stay, etc..etc)

The 2nd...is a legitimate discourse and disagreement over how things were done.

The first..is an "accusation"..not a question.

3 phases to any such war:
    1) taking down the objective (ie..removing saddam's gov and occupying the whole of IRaq. (mission accomplished)

2) form a gov, reconstruction, etc. to the point that a state gov emerges that can take control and provide all necessary elements to stabilize and run the country. (in transit)

3) leave or withdrawal..in such a way that it does not destabilize or cause a vacum. (dependent upon previous).

Believe it or not...all of those things..are covered under International treaties and various conventions.

There are rules for an "occupying" power..as to what their responsibltiies are. The occupying country is required to setup an interim gov..and public sector services (including banking). The occupying country is responsible for security. The occupying country is to eventually to pass authority, soverignty back to the state on a determined time schedule. The occupying county is still held responsible for the security, etc..and stability during that time.

Hang on a second.

What's really going on here?

Answer: They trotted slimy Dick Cheney out with a bunch of sanctimonious, patriotic rhetoric because some Americans are finally waking up to the fact that his pet imbecile puppet is a total loser.

This has NOTHING to do with anything else. Not one thing he said has the slightest relationship to truth.

Notice that he did exactly the same ~~~~ when he lied to the country about the WMD intelligence.

Regarding dcornutt's item number 1, I question the honesty of this administration. I question their motives. I question their competence. I question their grip on reality. I also question whether they should not be in jail.

-JF

Can any of you boys remember why this war started?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    dcornutt,

I'm curious why you continue to be a shill for Bush/Cheney's war. Are you in the military? That would be the only way to explain it.

Just wondering ---

Ern
    Heck, if I were in the military, I'd be upset about a lot of things among them:

1) Being sent to the wrong theater of ops (Iraq)
    2) The "Bring 'em on!" quote.
    3) Knowing that back home, the Pres and VP are basically saying that questioning our government will not be tolerated. (See (R) Hagel's quote in my original post)
    4) Lack of proper care on return home.
    5) Lack of the proper armor to defend my Bradly.
    6) Rumsfeld
    7) Abuse of prisoners

The point of my post was not so much the accusations, but rather the assertion that anyone who questions this war is not a patriot...and that is strongly implied by Cheney's remarks.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart

8) This whole flag-waving, drum banging show is being run by people who had "other priorities" during Vietnam.

????

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by southportJim
    8) This whole flag-waving, drum banging show is being run by people who had "other priorities" during Vietnam.

????
    Yup, that's what Cheney said about his lack of service in the Namm..."I had other priorities" - so did a lot of young men and women who never came home.

Mr. Cheney,

Was it really worth $500 Billion tax dollars and 2080 and counting soldiers and thousands of Iraqi citizens and 100s of thousands of wounded and maimed soldiers and Iraq cilivians just so you could give your Oil buddies a chance to make a little money?

Well a lot of the country didn't from the beginning and now some politians and most of the rest of the country don't either.

I think we will see some payback soon.

Cheers,
    JS

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast