• Register
  • Help

Topic: Research Dept: Classical Music Makes You to Spend More.

Share/Bookmark

Research Dept: Classical Music Makes You to Spend More.

In a recent study, when classical music was played, patrons spent on average $40 per person, compared to $36.75 when pop tunes were featured and $35 when there was silence. The music of Beethoven and Vivaldi encouraged patrons to spend more on dinner, especially on luxuries, such as coffee, dessert, fine wines, and appetizers.

Why? The researchers speculate that classical music makes diners feel more affluent, cultured, and sophisticated so they are more willing to spend money on items they equate with such qualities. Study leader Adrian North said classical music makes us "feel a bit posh. In a restaurant, this has the effect of making you spend a bit more money."

Did you ever wonder why some of the early GPO demos featured the music of Beethoven and Vivaldi?

Styxx, pass the grey poupon!

Re: Research Dept: Classical Music Makes You to Spend More.

I would say it's just because classical music made the patrons dining experience more enjoyable and special so they are more willing to spend a little more. I think the researchers were jumping to conclusions here. How did the researchers know what what was going on in the minds of the patrons. As the article said they SPECULATED which is basically just guessing based on a bit of collected data. Maybe the researchers were guilty of transference based upon their lack of higher cultural influences from their childhood.

Talking Re: Research Dept: Classical Music Makes You to Spend More.

I would surely spend more in shops, restaurants etc. which play classical music instead of Pop or something else. Because if there's pop/rock playing when I'm shopping or putting on extra calories then I'm out of there ASAP!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Hmm, I wonder what kind of classical music they played. That might make a difference. I went to a resteraunt once with a live harpist. I must say that I felt wealthy (as untrue as that may have been) between him and the fancy resteraunt.
    That's really insteresting.
    -Chris

Many years ago, an ad for a Chicago classical station was a testimonial from one man who was poor, alone, unhappy, and ugly, until he started listening to classical at the urging of a friend. A year later, he was happy, popular, sexy, and rich. There were before and after pictures, so it had to be true.

Chris, I think the researchers should try to answer your question regarding the type of classical music played. I betcha Sean Hannifin's Bolero would have an effect on diners.

Hmmm. . . . interesting! I'm sure I would spend more, but that's certainly because I love classical. I have seen (or heard, I guess) that in any kind of store or diner, music is used to set the mood. It may not be that shoppers feel more classy, but that the music and environment are much more relaxing when classical is playing. Even if you're not a fan of classical, I believe it will still have at least some effect on you. Obviously if the store sells rock and roll instruments or posters or something, they won't be playing much classical. But our local Borders Bookstore is always playing classical, and I'm sure it has to do with making customers feel smart and classy as they search for their books.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blankenau
    Chris, I think the researchers should try to answer your question regarding the type of classical music played. I betcha Sean Hannifin's Bolero would have an effect on diners.
    I guess I have some experiments to do . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum