• Register
  • Help

Topic: ABBA IS Back!!

Share/Bookmark

ABBA IS Back!!

Well, not really ABBA but Madonna sampled Benny Anderson's keyboard hook from Gimme,Gimme,Gimme( a man after midnight) for her new single Hung Up. It definitely makes the song. You can catch the video here at the UK Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,11,00.html

Re: ABBA IS Back!!

I wonder how much that cost!

How do sampling royalties work- is it a standard rate for everyone like doing a cover or is it negotiated on a case-by-case basis??

For this kind of work, it's always case-by-case. I believe the composer gets a normal as-originally-contracted share for a derivative work, the owners of the rights to the actual work get to excercise their powers of attorney (as in 'who's got the most powerful attorneys')...
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Well, not really
    Whew, that was close!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    For this kind of work, it's always case-by-case. I believe the composer gets a normal as-originally-contracted share for a derivative work, the owners of the rights to the actual work get to excercise their powers of attorney (as in 'who's got the most powerful attorneys')...
    Well then in this case I hope Benny made Madonna cough up some serious bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Whew, that was close!
    I'd rather have ABBA come back than a new Madonna song, wouldn't you?? Or Jessica Simpson, or Brittany or the other stuff that passes for top-40 crud these days

Of course, I never thought in my life I would say that. But I'm older now and I can come out of the closet- ABBA had catchy songs.

The funniest and good remake of abba, is erasure's version of "take a chance on me"... The music is euro-techno... The video is hilarious...

ABBA's biggest sin was to make music that actually sounded good. Music that even your parents could appreciate. I would put them right up there with the The Beatles and The Beach Boys. One of the best as Bono has put it.

Go Back to forum