• Register
  • Help

Topic: Synergy for Flute and Harp

Share/Bookmark

Synergy for Flute and Harp

Hey folks-

I have a piece here that I really need some technical help with. I'm a guitar player by day and have NO experience at all with orchestration etc...I wrote this piece for my wife who is a flautist (not professional). She says the flute part is extremely difficult but, more than likely, could be played by a professional. After listening and doing some research, I'm not so sure. Any flautists out there?? Some suggestions would be great.

Synergy for Flute and Harp

Thanks!

Scott

P.S-And a huge thanks to Nigam for hosting my posting!! (Hey, that rhymes!)

Re: Synergy for Flute and Harp

Hi Scott

Very interesting piece. As a semi-retired pro flautist, I can certainly assure you that the piece is playable. But since I don't hear any dynamic variation in this recording, it's somewhat difficult to say, in terms of dynamics. Since you seem to be exploring the sonorities of the lower register quite extensively, you will certainly not get that strong, almost amplified sound that you're getting from the GPO flautist, from a live flautist. I would say that would be almost impossible without amplification . Perhaps you can provide a score showing the dynamics you had in mind.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Louis-

Thanks for the quick reply. Well, the wife was right!!! I should know this by now...she's always right!

Yes, I always forget about dynamics when I'm working on GPO. I get so concerned with the actual SOUND, I forget to do dynamics. Thank you for the reminder.

As far as the score, I'll post as soon as I get it into shape. Like I said, I've been concentrating too hard on the recording itself. Here's another quick question though: Because the piece is hanging in the low register for most of the duration, would it be easier to: A. Transpose the piece to Ab or B. Try an alto flute in the original register? The low "B" is extensive when scored as is in G. Would an alto work and would it be easier for a player to get some meat out of those low notes?

Thanks. I love this forum!!!

Scott

Hi Scott

I don't think an alto flute will give you anything "meatier", in fact, it will be quite the opposite. Alto flutes are fairly weak compared to the regular concert flute. The concert flute doesn't have any difficulties in playing, even fairly loud and forcefull, low B's or C's. They just won't get anywhere near the the same level as the higher or middle registers.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi Scott

I don't think an alto flute will give you anything "meatier", in fact, it will be quite the opposite. Alto flutes are fairly weak compared to the regular concert flute. The concert flute doesn't have any difficulties in playing, even fairly loud and forcefull, low B's or C's. They just won't get anywhere near the the same level as the higher or middle registers.

Kind Regards

LouisD
    Excellent. Thanks again. Concert flute it is!

Any other suggestions for playability? Transpose? Tempo?

Best,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ewoh24
    Excellent. Thanks again. Concert flute it is!

Any other suggestions for playability? Transpose? Tempo?

Best,

Scott
    I'm not a music critic, but I think your piece will be quite lovely if played by live musicians. The low register in the flute is extremely expressive and with added dynamic changes and a lot of rubato it will sound splendid .

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    I'm not a music critic, but I think your piece will be quite lovely if played by live musicians. The low register in the flute is extremely expressive and with added dynamic changes and a lot of rubato it will sound splendid .

Kind Regards

LouisD
    Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. You ARE a music critic. Everyone who listens to music is their own personal critic and thank God for that too. Otherwise we'd all write and like the same things!

So no transposition eh? I think I just desperately want an excuse to use an exotic key (like my old pal Debussy!)

Best,

Scott

Go Back to forum