• Register
  • Help

Topic: Affordable Electric/Accoustic Bass

Share/Bookmark

Affordable Electric/Accoustic Bass

I have looking everywhere for an affordable electric/accoustic bass vsti, but have not found any. I only need electric bass and some accoustic bass would be preferable, and have slides samples. I have heard trilogy, but as for me, I feel it quite expensive.. I'm looking for a more affordable virtual instrument.
    Any ideas?

thanks

Re: Affordable Electric/Accoustic Bass

A lower priced option would be a sample library that has both Acoustic and Electric basses, for example our own Bass Legends library.

It's less expensive than Trilogy and still sounds great and includes slides and a lot of variety of different Basses played by great players:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/basslegends.php

spectrum

Here's another "vote" for the Bass Legends set -- I have owned Trilogy since it was released, and absolutely LOVE it for synth bass -- but to be honest, I still ALWAYS go to the Bass Legends set for the electric and acoustic basses.

Trilogy really rocks, and it's inspired me to use synth bass on more tracks than I would have ever imagined... But for some reason, when it comes to acoustic/electric, I still find those Bass Legends basses winning my heart time and again... AND I'M A BASS PLAYER, MIND YOU...

I use the Akai discs imported into Halion 2 -- works GREAT, and I'd say you can't go wrong (assuming it meets your budget concerns).

Just my own experience...

Check out the Ultimate Bass Kit (available in Soundfont or WusikSND format). It's only electric bass, but for $29.99 it's a great deal. Check out the audio demos and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck with the search!

Thank you for the responds.
    I will look at Bass Legends and especially Ultimate Bass Kit.
    Ultimate Bass Kit I think it's really great considering the price.
    Thank you for pointing me this...

Has anyone here ever actually use ultimate bass kit? I really want to know of their experience with this library.

You should also check out the basses available for download From Wizoo, might be another option:

http://www.wizoosounds.com/cgi-bin/W...GwC/0.0.20.4.3

matto

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    A lower priced option would be a sample library that has both Acoustic and Electric basses, for example our own Bass Legends library.

It's less expensive than Trilogy and still sounds great and includes slides and a lot of variety of different Basses played by great players:

http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/basslegends.php

spectrum

Eric,

I have an XP-80 with the Bass and Drums expansion card. Are the Bass and Drum basses culled from the Bass Legends samples? In other words, would I be gaining anything buying Bass legends? (aside from the lphrases that I would not use) Or should I hold out for Trilogy?

All the very best,

Darren

I'm not Eric, unfortunately (ha ha) -- but I have ALL THREE: the Roland card, the Bass Legends set, and Trilogy...

I would say that the Roland card has some great bass sounds -- YES, I believe they all come from the Bass Legends set, and they work really well in a mix. As I understand it, that Roland card basically is a small subset of the larger library on Bass Legends. Any way, some of those basses sound good to me, and I used to use them for pulling up a bass sound quickly when working on a new tune.

BUT, I don't think I've EVER used those sounds (from the Roland card) since getting the Bass Legends sample set and converting it to Halion (which was like 4 years ago, I think). It may be my imagination, but I just feel the full library basses are more dynamic, or something. I ESPECIALLY love the "Big Bertha" (John P.'s acoustic bass) from Bass Legends. That sucker literally SINGS in the upper register, it's like you can just FEEL the music coming out of it on the upper notes -- it's VERY organic and subtle and yet you can smack it around, too, when you want to get heavier... Same with the Marcus Miller chorused fretless -- that is really an INSTRUMENT, dude... You can really PLAY it... I love it. And I guess I just never felt the basses on that Roland card had anywhere NEAR as much subtlety as that... They sound GOOD, but not as "complete" as the full Bass Legends basses.

I'm a bass player myself, so I NEVER use the phrases from Bass Legends -- only the multisampled basses. But for ME, even Trilogy doesn't beat it for those "real" bass sounds. Just my honest feeling...

Now, as to Trilogy -- I use THAT for synth sounds. I've not found any sample set or instrument that gives me such a wide range of synth bass sounds right out of the box, with PLENTY of ways to adjust for my tastes. I mean, if you use synth bass sounds at all, then it's a no-brainer, get Trilogy and you get the whole range of acoustic, electric, and synth sounds. But note: the "real" basses in Trilogy are all NEW, they are not from the Bass Legends set, as far as I know. THAT might explain why I still like the old Bass Legends basses for "real" parts, while loving Trilogy for the synth sounds.

Back to your question: For me, I would say that I'd hate to have to go back to ONLY having that Roland card for "real" bass sounds. The Bass Legends basses DO have something "more" that makes me ALWAYS choose them over the subset that's on that card. But if you EVER use synth bass sounds, then doggone it, you ought to just save up for Trilogy and be done with it...

But hey -- "Your Mileage May Vary", as we say...

Go Back to forum