• Register
  • Help

Topic: PC and Mac - (choke) together???

Share/Bookmark

PC and Mac - (choke) together???

Hi guys.

After struggling with my slow macs (see my signature for my specs), and being inspired by DPDan, I have decided I am going to try and bite the bullet and (choke) get a PC to host GPO / Kontakt 2 and control it via my Mac. I REALLY hate the Windows platform, but know that PCs just run VSTs way more efficiently than Macs do.

Dan sent me a diagram of his setup, which seems pretty complicated (and a bit expensive), but I know it works for him. But I don't use Digital Performer, nor have some of the interfaces he has.

Here is what I would like to do. I am not even sure this is possible with the software I like to use (TRACKTION) but maybe someone can help me figure out what I will need. At this point I am just feeling around for what I would need.

I would be running the sequencer (Tracktion) on my Mac, sending the MIDI data via multiple midi channels to the PC, which would be hosting GPO and Kontakt 2. I would then re-route the audio from the PC (preferably the same number of audio channels as there are midi channels coming in) to either the same Mac or, more realistically, my other Mac and record that audio in simultaneous multiple audio tracks. (which I would then fine tune edit).

Is this possible? What interfaces / audio cards would I need? What PC program would I need to "host" the GPO and Kontakt VSTs that would also allow for mutliple MIDI channel ins and mutliple audio channel out re-routing? Would Bidule work for that? I know that with the proper interfaces, Tracktion allows for multiple audio channels recording simultaneously. (and outputs as well)

I have heard about "lightpipe" connections, Midi over LAN, etc. which would be the best for what I need? (Also - a financial consideration needs to be in place here too )

I am hoping this will not be too expensive. A decent PC can be had for relatively low cost. It is the connections, cards and other stuff I am hoping to avoid a lot of cost with.

Anyone having success using a PC in their Mac studio? How do you do it? how costly is it?

Thanks for taking the time to respond here. Before I have my nephew build my PC for me, I want to know that this will be worth the effort.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: PC and Mac - (choke) together???

Hi Jerry friend!

Thank you for the nice compliment of being inspired.

You pretty much have your MAC/PC setup figured out.

Many audio channels is expensive. To have one audio channel, or stereo audio channel for every midi input is not even possible as far as I know.
    There are some programs that allow many midi channels to be sent from your Mac to the PC and vice versa, it is called Midi Over LAN. Getting alot of audio channels with excellent quality is the expensive part. I am only able to transfer the audio of 8 midi tracks at a time when I record the audio to audio tracks.

Once the audio tracks are recorded in this first pass, it then mute tyhe midi channels and go to the next eight. I say eight because my MOTU Traveler audio interface is only capable of receiving one ADAT lightpipe. ADAT lightpipe (fiber optic) carries 8 mono, or four stereo, or any combination thereof.

The soundcard for both machines are very important. These devices are responsible for the digital transfer of all of your instruments from the PC (GPO/Kontakt 2) to your Mac.

Unfortunately, none of this stuff is cheap.

Let me know if I can be of any help.
    Say Hi to your little Clair for me.

Dan

Thanks Dan!!

I guess my question is this.
    What audio cards / devices will I need to pipe the MIDI to the PC (lotsa channels) and what audio devices will I need to pump audio from the PC to the Mac recording the audio (even if only say, 4 channels at a time would be fine)? I don't mind taking the time to make it right, but I would like to be able to hear everything played at once while still editing the MIDI. Freezing tracks is not that great for Tracktion (with low powered cpu).

Neither of the macs have PCI slots, so I will need external (most likely FW) solutions.

Can you tell me more about MIDI over LAN?

You use Bidule, where in your set up do you have that? on the Mac? on the PC?

I know you control the PC with the Mac using DP, but what is happening on the PC? what software is running on that? (besides Gigastudio and GPO)

Thanks,.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

Hmm. I think that I figured out a solution.

This is way too expensive right now, but right now I am just seeing if it would work. Anyone with a cheaper solution PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

Jerry

1. From Mac #1 USB port to

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDISport4x4/

2. from that to the PC IN on aPCI card

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WavecenterPCI/

I need a VST hosting app on the PC side.

3. From PC's PCI card OUT to

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...1814-main.html

4. Then to Mac #2. (via FW port) for recording the audio channels.

I know these are expensive, I just need to know if the preceding would actually work.

I SUPPOSE I could just nix that last one, and record directly from the soundcard on the PC for each track (rather than say 4 - 8 at a time).

Or, with this kind of money, just buy a fast PC and do all the above on one machine. But I really love my mac. I hope there is a cheaper solution than I have outlined above!

At least, do I have the right devices?

Thanks again,
    Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Selling or trading in the slow Macs for a G5 Mac might also be an option. Powermax.com takes trade-ins.

Thanks For the replies!

Trading in for a faster Mac is not really an option - Powermax doesn't give much - and I need two computers anyway. I have to have a laptop regardless of its power. I do a lot of composing the music at work at the hotel where I work at nights, but then do the PRODUCTION at home on the iMac. Such as it is, that is my "studio"

MIDIoverLAN looks very promising as far as controlling the PC via the MAC, But FX Teleport looks just plain awesome! http://www.fx-max.com/fxt/index.html
    But FX Teleport is just for Windows. Is there anything like that for Mac? ANYTHING? THAT is what I could use.

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Wormhole 2 comes for both mac and pc. You can find it at plasq.com.

Tom

Thanks Tom. Could you tell me something? What software do you have running on your "host PC?" (the one that has GPO and other VST's on it?) FX teleport requires no software to "host" the VSTs, But I would think that MIDIoverLAN would still requre the host PC to be running SOME kind of VST hosting app.

(BTW - I have been assured that FX Teleport for OS X is still on track, but will be months before a release - and knowing what I have seen about software development timetables, I am not going to look for it till it actually is released. - I know better than that now. )

Maybe you could share with me your network setup, which machine runs which apps, etc? If you have time.

Thanks - I won't be able to test these out really till I get my PC, but MIDI over LAN looks nice - FX Teleport looks really good - actually what I really need in fact - but impatience dictates another solution till it is released for mac, and if Wormhole works as indicated, THAT will be a sweet caboose in the midi-audio daisy-"train".

Jerry

(wahoo! 900 posts!!! )

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum