• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Any mixing suggestions for this?

Share/Bookmark

Smile OT: Any mixing suggestions for this?

Hi, I know that this isnt the normal genre here but it IS for an indy film. Short but sweet. I like the mix overall but would be open to any suggestions. It is a short piece just for the intro inwhich our main character comes into focus on a motorcycle. Here is the link http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=678910&t=1621 . Thanks,

Eric

Re: OT: Any mixing suggestions for this?

I'd be tempted to have the drums a wee bit more prominent. For me the staccato synth part and guitar are slightly too far forward in the mix, so perhaps dipping them back (especially the synth) and pushing up the drums a little would be beneficial..? Sounds good though.

Edit: having just listened again, I think it's the hi-hat that needs pushed up, but since there doesn't appear to be a snare, that might sound odd. I think the addition of a kik and snare might help, but you might have veered away from that in purpose.

Hmmm, I'm maybe not helping much...!

Thanks for the response. I agree that the drums are the driving part and I do like them to be upfront. I'll dial back the synth for sure, I am hearing that more now. As far as individual drum balance ( probably no suprise here ) the whole kit is a loop with the exception of the tom fills and a big bombo. I'll see if I can find a notch frequency that will help. It does seem a bit low on high or mid high energy. Either that or that's where my hearing is trailing off these days. Thanks so much for your comments.

Cool, I think if you try those things it'll sound punchier. You're def right about the synth, I do the same thing myself, and being a keyboard player it's hard to be objective about it on my own, much easier to crit someone else's work!!

I do like the piece overall, and good luck with the rest of the score!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I would say that the issues with highs/mid-highs might actually be a result of some clogging in the low end. You might do some really targeted bass rolloffs in the tracks that are causing the buildup, and see if things begin to punch through more.

I always find it most helpful to look for places to cut EQ rather than to boost it...to ask, what is preventing these frequencies from coming through?

Very good point Bruce. I also agree with the idea of cutting rather than boosting first. I'll check that out and see what I come up with. Any particular frequencies in mind based upon what you have heard? Thanks,

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Very good point Bruce. I also agree with the idea of cutting rather than boosting first. I'll check that out and see what I come up with. Any particular frequencies in mind based upon what you have heard? Thanks,

Eric
    I just listened on Media Player, so I wasn't really in a position to actually try to experiment with cuts myself. It could be a parts balance issue. What I heard building up was in the 90 Hz and below range.

I don't know how loud you mix, but this is also one of those cases where mixing softly might reveal "clogs" that you won't hear when things are cranked up more.

Smile Re: OT: Any mixing suggestions for this?

Ok, I've updated the mix. I think it sizzles a bit more now and I think I cleared up the bottom end a bit too. See what you think. BTW, thanks for your suggestions. http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=678910&t=6052

Eric

Yup, sounds better for sure! I hear a little muddiness in the bottom end at times, but generally it seems like a far better mix. The drums have more energy, and the synth's not overpowering anymore. Cool.

I think the balance is a lot better.

If you're still working, here's an observation I have: The whole thing still washes a bit to me. There are some cool broad strokes there, which are all kind of blended tonally together. Even in something as distorted and compressed as this, I always try to seek out what "drama" can be coaxed.

For instance, I think the Eb---, Bb---, C "chorus" phrase could reach out and smack a little harder...giving some dramatic arc.

Of course, it's very hard to speak subjectively about something that is written for a picture or dramatic purpose we're not seeing, so please take that with a grain of salt.

B.

Go Back to forum