• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pre-existing MIDI files?

Share/Bookmark

Pre-existing MIDI files?

This has probably been covered before, as it is something I'm sure many GPO newbies have been curious about, but I'm not sure how to do a search for topics related to it, and it probably doesn't hurt for it to be discussed again.

I know the mod wheel is considered an important aspect of using GPO. However, what about if one has a pre-existing MIDI or sequencer file, and wants to change the pre-existing string parts to GPO instruments?

Since those parts were not recorded using the mod wheel, one might not hear any sound. What does one have to do to hear the parts in GPO?

Also, since thereby one might have lost some of the expressivity possible in GPO, is there any way to get that back, without re-recording each part using the mod wheel?

(I can't say I'm used to that mod wheel recording yet either. I guess it takes some getting used to. One could only play the keyboard with one hard, if using the other hand to manipulate the mod wheel while playing.)

Re: Pre-existing MIDI files?

There used to be a midi file converter available on Garry's site. I don't know what happened to it. I used it too when I first got GPO, but not anymore. It would automatically convert the existing midi file to be modwheel compatible. Does anyone know if it is still available?

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    There used to be a midi file converter available on Garry's site. I don't know what happened to it. I used it too when I first got GPO, but not anymore. It would automatically convert the existing midi file to be modwheel compatible. Does anyone know if it is still available?

Kind Regards

LouisD
    Right. I also meant to get this some time ago for some older MIDI files, but can't locate it any more. Not a big loss, but an occasional nuisance.

- atonal

I think you folks may be referring to this=>

http://www.garritan.com/support/TcMfxVelocityToCc10.zip

It was written by Markelford and converts standard midi velocity to modwheel.

The instructions for using, along with some other good things, are on the Garritan site here=>

http://www.garritan.com/downloads.html

;-)

Jim Jarnagin - no not THAT Jim Jarnagin, the other one.

Jim,

I believe the application you link to is the MIDI effects plugin. There was another one, a stand-alone Javascript application.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Jim,

I believe the application you link to is the MIDI effects plugin. There was another one, a stand-alone Javascript application.
    Quite so The midi effects plug in is quite useful. I use it regularly, since I don't have a mod wheel (not important for piano or organ). I prefer it to the stand alone thing. Big advantage: if you save your files in a proprietary format, such as Sonar, the midi effects plug in works. For the stand alone, you must first save your file as .mid. If you should alter the file, the mid effects plug in will have no problem. With the other, be prepared to either add many entries to your event list, or convert the file again.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Jim,

Where can that stand-alone app be downloaded?

Most sequencing Apps have a built in midi logical convert editor. In Cubase it is called the 'Logical Editor'. You just select the affected tracks, fire up the Logical Editor, input the cc code of any existing expression (usually cc11) and the code of the 'target' midi cc code (cc01 for mod wheel) and click 'do it' (or something similar).

Alternatively there is Marklefords MFX utility as referred to above.

Intriguingly Marlkleford himself refers to a standalone utility for converting Velocity to CC01, that comes bundled with GPO - called "GPO Standard MIDI File Translator". Maybe a look around on the GPO disk is in order?

Quote Originally Posted by maiki
    Where can that stand-alone app be downloaded?
    Maiki, If you have the CD version of GPO it should be on disc 4. If not, I can email it to you. If you have Cubase/Nuendo - Markleford wrote an excellent plugin that does this.
    Dan Hristodorescu also wrote a Sonar plug-in that converts existing standard MIDI files to be used with GPO by mapping velocity to CC#1.
    Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum