• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help me choosing my sound card (details inside)

Share/Bookmark

Help me choosing my sound card (details inside)

Hi,
    I\'m new in computer music. A freind already built me a PC but I need a sound card. Becasue I buy Gigastudio96 - that suits my needs with Cubase VST - next week, I also need a sound card.
    Som of my freinds gave my 3 card names:
    - Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96
    - Terratec EWX 24/96
    - MidiMan Audiophile 2496

They all 3 have the same budget but great performances - it seems for my little knowledge.

Can you help me in choosing the best one, and in giving me the reason why? I like to know and lear as much as I can.

Regards,
    Eric ~flamma~

PS: maybe a important information: the motherboard had a VIA chipset with an AMD processor installed on it.

Re: Help me choosing my sound card (details inside)

Anyone here can provide me some help?
    Nemesys website does not offer a comparison between these cards, and I cannot figure it out by myself.
    My holidays are in less than 2 weeks now, and i\'d like to get some advice in order to bu the right card and have the the computer ready for music.
    Thanx for reading, much more thanx for future help
    Regards,
    Eric ~flamma~

Questions to ask and answer before proceeding:

What\'s the purpose of this system, professional, semi-pro, hobby? What\'s your budget?

Exactly what do you want/need to do with it, now AND in the foreseeable future? What level of simultaneous polyphony/number of simultaneous instruments do you expect to need?

Will you need analog ins for recording? how many?
    Will you need analog outs for monitoring? recording? playback-only or monitoring while recoding?
    Will you need S/PDIF I/O for recording?
    Will you need ADAT (lightpipe) I/O for multi-track recording?
    Will you need word clock sync?
    Will you need Midi I/O on the card, vs. separate midi interface?

Now that that\'s defined:
    Do you need all your I/Os on the card, or is a breakout box OK?
    What is the motherboard/chipset you\'re installing on?

Now:

What cards are available that meet all the requirements? Start at the Tascam/Nemesys list on the Tascam website. Then look at both Northern AND Tascam for questions/problems/unresolved issues that match these cards/systems.
    Then call the card manufacturer and talk to the tech folks. Get an idea if they have a clue, and if they are aware of issues.

Finally:
    Buy your card.

Good luck, and happy Giga-ing!

Dasher

First, Thnk you thesoundsmith for your reply.
    Second, i come from \'acoustic\' non-classical instruments/music recordings and playings. One of my album is available for listening & information here: http://come.to/old.europa.cafe
    So i\'m not familiar with music with computer, have no really experience, but now i\'m alone, and the 2 other members who worked with me are gone. So, computer music can help me then.
    third, i\'ll try to answer the best I can.
    Ok, here we go:

Q: What\'s the purpose of this system, professional, semi-pro, hobby? What\'s your budget?
    A: hobby that can became semi-pro (maybe)

Q: Exactly what do you want/need to do with it, now AND in the foreseeable future?
    A: to be able to play some ambient and a few of orchestral samples with GS

Q: What level of simultaneous polyphony/number of simultaneous instruments do you expect to need?
    A: I don\'t know exactly, I\'m not familiar enough, but I guess I will not need more tan 16-20 midi tracks MAX. Right now, i was informed by a freind who has a store and sells musical soft and hardware that I do need some \"cluster\" sample Cds, with different orchetral and sound stuff. He told me about the Pro samples collection which is cheap and seems reliable for my needs.

Q: Will you need analog ins for recording? how many?
    A: yes, only 1, for mic (voice ans sounds - no instruments) recording

Q: Will you need analog outs for monitoring? recording? playback-only or monitoring while recoding?
    A: When I bought Cubase VST, he explained me that i can play all from cubase, without any mixing table, and the GS could be connected into cubase \"numericaly\"

Q: Will you need S/PDIF I/O for recording?
    A: linked to the above question I guess, i\'d say YES.

Q: Will you need ADAT (lightpipe) I/O for multi-track recording?
    A: no need, and too expensive for me.

Q: Will you need word clock sync?
    A: It seems not. i\'ve just bought a little korg synth that does not need such thing to work, right?

Q: Will you need Midi I/O on the card, vs. separate midi interface?
    A: the korg synth has its own midi, but having midi within the audiocard seems a good idea.

Q: Do you need all your I/Os on the card, or is a breakout box OK?
    A: a box can be usefull but not necessary.

Q: What is the motherboard/chipset you\'re installing on?
    A: Asus A7V with VIA Chipset.

Q: What cards are available that meet all the requirements?
    A: the cards I listed above, in my first message.

Start at the Tascam/Nemesys list on the Tascam website. Then look at both Northern AND Tascam for questions/problems/unresolved issues that match these cards/systems.
    -> done

Then call the card manufacturer and talk to the tech folks. Get an idea if they have a clue, and if they are aware of issues.
    -> very good idea

Finally:
    Buy your card.
    -> Right, but which one, the ones mentioned above I assume they are quite similar...

Good luck, and happy Giga-ing!
    -> Thank you very much

Regards,

Eric ~flamma~

error (doble post)

due to the lack of answers, not even in this thread, I searched for help and i\'ve finally talked to some other guys around the web (chat and official forums to \"un-official\" forums). It was strange because I found that some of these people were ready to listen and helped me very quickly, more than here. What is funny is that most of them used Cacked versions of GiGaStudio160. When I said to them I\'ve bought it and got no serious support they laugh, not because I bought it, but because I had no really help. they did offer me help, tech tips with computer for musics, some advices and finally told me the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 will perfectly suits my needs.
    It\'s a shame regular and official users can\'t be at least the same helping hand I found on the web [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    of course, I do not say \"everyone here doesn\'t help and listen\" of course NOT. I guess moderators and administrators have a lot to do, but almost i see is people asking questions, and receiving very few attention by the others, except the 2 or 3 big guys here (weldone guys).
    Anyway, i\'m not writing this message for complaints. i only want to express a feeling, that will not last...
    Because, now i have my audio card and I\'ll be able to do some music.
    Regards from France,
    Eric ~flamma~

I\'m glad you got your audio card. Sorry I didn\'t get back to you sooner, when I last went roving thru the posts, you hadn\'t replied, and my answer was really more of a \"how to do it yourself\" item anyway...

The one thing I noted in your response (and by now you must have figured out) is that MIDI is not a single-device concept. Even in one synthesizer, something (typicalyy they keyboard or sequencer) generates MIDI events, which are transmitted (via MIDI cable or internal wiring) to something which responds to those events (Gigastudio or the synth, for example.)

Witihout both ends, it\'s like a radio station broadcasting, but nobody is listening.

Good luck with your music.

Dasher

Hello Dasher,
    Thank you very much for your response. You comments concerning MIDI are interesting. I\'ve begun to collect some information around, in music/computer magazines, online in in shop to improve my knowledge.
    By the way, don\'t be sorry, it\'s OK. I was a little disappointed buy different things and other non music related events, so my feelings were maybe... too bad.
    i\'m not here is this forum very often - I guess it\'s a question of time - but I\'m happy to see some good posts with good tech information.
    Regards,
    Eric ~flamma~

S\'cool, Eric. Electronic music is a vast, wide-open territory that just keeps getting more and more interesting. There\'s a huge amount to learn. Don\'t be afraid to experiment, the worst that can happen is that you fry your monitors (or your brain [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] !)

Dasher

I really hope not to fry my brain cells [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    If you have listened to the music i made, i\'ll try to get deeper into dark ambient music... Maybe some \"beyond-time-monsters\" will raise then from their eternal sleep and haunt my computer.
    regards,
    Eric ~flamma~

Go Back to forum