• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mom is playing her piano again!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Mom is playing her piano again!

Some of you may remember how near to loosing my mom came this past summer. She suffered a stroke in July then had problems with her heart several time throughout the summer. Finally, the doctors put a pacemaker in to help her heart with keeping the right "rhythmic electrical pulse" as the heart surgeon put it.
    The other night while visiting, my mom and I sat at her piano together and played some boogie woogie music. I played the bass as she did the rest. I noticed her tempo was very energetic and she reminded me of how she used to play years ago. When we stopped, I asked her what gives? "I know" she answered. "Before the surgery I couldn't get myself to even look at the piano EVEN if I had the thought of playing. I wanted to but just couldn't get enough energy up mentally or physically. Now, it seems I am back on track."
    Then she pulled out a piece of paper filled with song tittles written in her own hand. "See these songs? I could never play them before. Now, I just hear it in my head and it comes to me like clockwork."
    Could it be that as we age our biological clock starts to faulter in some of us and this may cause us to "let go" or "feel as if we don't have it anymore"? Is it possible my mother's biological clock along with help from this pacemaker is "back on meter" so to speak?
    All I know is she looks healthy and happy again. We played more and then she played several songs by herself just like I remember when I was a kid growing up. I remember the first day the piano was delivered. We couldn't get her away from it for days. I think we ate hot dogs for about six weeks before she remembered to cook.
    Anyway, we're all getting together for Thanksgiving and I know exactly what I am thankful for.
    To all of you who offered your comfort and prayers ... don't ever underestimate the power!
    Thank you Forum members!
    I'm going to record her next time I go over. My not be the best recording but hey!

Oh, and what do you think about the possibility of a pacemaker putting a person back on track?
    Styxx

Re: Mom is playing her piano again!

Wow Styxx!!! That's WONDERFUL news!! I'm so happy that you were able to share that moment with your mom - I'm sure that it will always be special to you. I don't know about biological clocks, so I can't answer your other questions. Maybe she's just feeling better now and is able to think more clearly. I do know that a pacemaker did buy my dad some time... Cherish these times Styxx - that's my only advice

Steph

p.s...I'll keep praying too

Great news, I'm happy to hear it!!

I don't know much about biological clocks and pacemakers, but I have read over and over that age itself isn't going to affect the brain if it's kept active. Might have something to do with psychological mood... but what do I know?

In the end, it's just great she is playing the music again! Have a great thanksgiving!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

My Dad has Arrhythmia and Styxx, I can tell you for sure that a pacemaker can make all the difference in the world. He's had his over twenty-five years.

The body is a system, and there are very few organs if any that are indispensible. In that sense, the system is only as strong as the weakest link and the central distribution importance of the heart in bringing cells oxygen, well I don't need to say anymore.

I'm happy to hear that your mom got a new lease on life.

As a side note, she has also joined a league in which my father too is a member. Something you might only consider to be science fiction. They are both considered cyborgs. Humans with artifical organs... We're lucky to be living in these days. As much as folks complain about doctors and the state of medicine today, so many loved ones have been spared. We're blessed to still have our parents and its really a gift of science.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Great news, I'm happy to hear it!!

I don't know much about biological clocks and pacemakers, but I have read over and over that age itself isn't going to affect the brain if it's kept active. Might have something to do with psychological mood... but what do I know?
    You are quite right. The mind can continue to function quite well as a person ages. As my mother told me MANY times over MANY years, you can't stop your body from aging and getting creaky, but you can keep your mind working by using it. I would add, that physical problems can certainly have their effect, and if you feel rotten or tired, it is very easy to neglect mental activity. Also, if the blood supply and oxygen supply is insufficient, the brain will not function as well, or at least not as fast. So it would seem that Mother Styxx has kept her mind active enough that when the physical problem was alleviated, she was able to get cracking again. I think she will be amazed at the music that continues to come back as she plays more and more. I would guess that she is around my age, and thus expect plenty more good years of piano playing! If she has any of it left over, I could use some of that energy now and then. I don't need a pacemaker, just got to remember to use my inhaler so I can continue receive my retired pay, which I would lose if I should cease breathing.

Richard

>Oh, and what do you think about the possibility of a pacemaker putting a person back on track?<

In this case, great! But other problems have other solutions. Whatever gets you physically healthy must contribute to mental health as well. Main point is, your mother has bounced back! Gaudeamus igitur! Send me any left over energy. My supply is occasionally low.

Richard

Great post Styxx. I would say her pace maker is the reason for her renewed energy.

Take great care of her, excellent that you are getting together for Thanksgiving.

We all have so much to be thankful for.

Dan

Thanks everyone! I'm going to set up my Roland FP 8 stage pianie in the livink room to play Christmas music together. Maybe I can pursuade my brothers in bringing their guitars.

Hey DPDAN! Any suggestions for recording her piano? Would using two SM57's do or SM87's?
    Styxx

Styxx:

Glad to hear your mom is back in the groove! Her rapid recovery is the result of your family's continued support, her strong will to heal, and the prayers we have all said in her behalf.

Have a great Thanksgiving. This year is a special one for your family.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Jack Cannon
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Great post Styxx. I would say her pace maker is the reason for her renewed energy.

Take great care of her, excellent that you are getting together for Thanksgiving.

We all have so much to be thankful for.

Dan
    I'm delighted to hear about Styxx's mother's recovery and can imagine the joy that Styxx has derived from this.

However, to keep things in perspective, I've also just been watching the news from Niger in Africa where their countrymen have been savaged by famine and starvation to a level unimaginable by the western world. Seemingly prayers don't reach everywhere......we need to raise our horizons and take off our blinkers......
    There are, indeed, many, many millions of poor souls in the world who really have very little to be thankful for.

No wonder increasingly large numbers of Africans are travelling up through Europe looking for a little of what we have........just some 'food' for thought. We need to start sharing or we'll be overwhelmed.

Frank

Go Back to forum