• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sis 745 chipset

Share/Bookmark

Sis 745 chipset

Anyone tested a Sis 745 chipset mobo with GS?
    I\'m about to buy the A7S333 from asus (w/1GB of samsung ram), I\'d like to know if it\'s GS ok.
    Thanx.

jkrans

Re: Sis 745 chipset

The A7S333 rocks! I\'ve been using it for about three months now and its been super stable with GS. I bought an ECS K7S5A board prior to the asus and ended up returning it. I couldn\'t believe how unstable it was. There are a lot of known issues with that board. I highly recommend the asus though. Can\'t beat the price either.

later-
    Jeff

Thanx Jkrans !
    What AMD are you using? Does your CPU runs at its maximum clock?
    I heard some bad news about overheating when using a 2000 or 2100XP which can make the whole comp unstable after 2 hours of use...

jkrans

Yes, the AMD I\'m using is running at its maximum speed. I\'m using an XP 1600+ which runs at 1.4GHz. I\'m not currently overclocking that processor though, so I can\'t really verify any stability issues.

jeff

Be cautious with your audio card, though. Echo Audio warned me that SIS chipsets do not play well with Motorola DSP, which many GSIF cards apparently use. RME uses something else, I don\'t know about Terratec or the rest.

Dasher

Thanks all. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I have an Audiophile 2496 and as I can\'t see any Motorola DSP in it, it must be ok.

Dasher,
    Does Echo gave you a Sis chipset\'s reference or all Sis chipsets are concerned?

Jkrans,
    What audiocard are you using?

Any extra info would be appreciated as I have to press this eShop\'s \"submit\" button tomorrow... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

When the times comes for choosing a mobo, in our music & media hobby, all that count is
    1-stability
    2-pci performance

Here\'s why:

1-Stability, this one is obvious, you don\'t want the system to crash, period.

2-Pci performance: The more data the chipset can handles the better.

Processor is not THAT important here with giga, disk are. Disk are doing alot of io (there basicly io devices). So all that data has to go thru the pci bus, then to memory, then treated and mangles by processor, then back to memory, then back to pci board, then into your sound card.

Since PCI standard is \'supposed\' to allow 133meg/sec data transfer rate, you would think that\'s more than enough... Don\'t be so sure...

Most VIA chipset have only 1 bus for memory access and to cpu, so that mean that PCI(theorical 133m/s) + USB + AGP are all going thru the same pipe to talk with memory and cpu. That is already alot of data (specialy agp). How do you know that AGP is using PCI to talk to CPU and mem? Look into windows devices manager, into system and search for a AGP-to-PCI Bridge. That it... Now check also for USB-to-PCI Bridge, again...

Now with a good mobo, you don\'t have those...

For example, an ASUS CUSL2-C (old P3 board), you have a bus dedicated for AGP (AGP-to-CPU Bridge), and bus didecated to USB, a bus dedicated also for onboard IDE. This one is of particular interest for us GIGA user, that mean that even when using IDE drive at full speed, streaming a bunch of sample, your PCI bus is totaly free to be used by your soundcard for example.

Also in audio world, the 2 MOST DEMANDING thing you can do on your mobo, is DELAYS and REVERBS.

Why? Well, a reverbs is a bunch of really small delays basicaly. (with a bunch of differents ways of doing this, that\'s why differents qualities of reverbs exist, everything is in the algorythm used). What a delay is doing in reality? It is copying a small chunk of audio in memory (using one of the busses to memory) and reading it back a little later, thousand & thousand of times.

All of this at the sames time that your reading a big 24bits wav files, streaming a bunch of samples frm giga, moving your USB mouse (which is always poling the bus), and driving those nice GUI with AGP.

Do some math and you\'ll realise that in fact, you have about 30~40m/s available for your audio apps. Now, if on top of that, your chipset isn\'t reliable, your memory not very quick, your PC badly cooled, well, that all it need for a guaranteed CRASH!

Just FYI, go check some real PCI performance benchmark, those which are of interest to us. All those benchmark you see everywere are all about GAMER, FPS, etc... It doesn\'t mean nothing for us.

For examples, an ASUS A7V (via chipset) can barely sustain 1 very good reverb algorythm without having PCI overflow, that\'s a good 22meg/s.

An A7N (nForce chipset) can manage 2 or 3 of the SAME reverb. Better with 36meg/s average.

An A7M266 (AMD chipset) Is almost the same with 37meg/s, but not enough to have one more reverb.

In comparaison, the Asus CUSL2-C (remember, it is and old board, 2yrs old) can sustain without any trouble 12 of those reverbs, with a very nice 70meg/s. And a newer Asus P4T533 can have more reverb than a P4-2.0 can run, still without any PCI overflow trouble.

You\'ll say, no need for 12 reverbs !!! You\'re right, but what about 16 x 24bits/44.1khz audio track, a very very good reverb for mastering all this, a couple of VSTi instrument, a nice bosendorfer piano of 1.5gig to stream thru giga.

And i\'m not even talking about 24/96 here... The machine will explode! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, it was really just to make a point... It\'s better to spend 50$ more on Intel chipset today and play music today, than trying to spare just a couple of bucks to have trouble later. And Intel is not that more expensive these days.

BTW, i think of you go P4, go also RAMBUS, cuz performance for transfering to&from memory is about 10 times faster... P4 is optimized for rambus... DDR is still a very good choice, but avoid at all cost those \'in the middle\' board still supporting sdram now. They are good office supply, not DAW. Sdram is dead and for good.

My 0.02cents !

Marcus

Noenoeil, you asked
    Does Echo gave you a Sis chipset\'s reference or all Sis chipsets are concerned?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">They stated the problem is with ALL Motorola DSP cards used with Sis chipsets in general, but the 650 that I am using seems to work fine, so far (I have a LOT of testing to do before I\'m comfortable)

I\'d suggest calling them yourself, as the tech I talked to may not be awre of your particular mobo/chipset. I just want to help make sure you don\'t lock yourself out of your own system, but I don\'t have any more than that.

Dasher

Marcus,
    thanx for your post, I agree with this totally.
    I already have a A7V133-C with a VIA and had HOURS of tweaking to avoid clicks/pops with GS...
    Too much questions and time lost, so I ordered the Abit TH7 II RAID (pretty old too but...), a 2.2 Northwood and 1 gig of rambus.
    I know it\'s a total overkill for Giga but continuously tweaking an AMD daw is what I want to avoid now. The $500 difference between this config and an AMD one is justified by the time you can loose when tweaking instead of making music. Adding all this time will quickly result in more than a $500 loss on a stressed production...

Go Back to forum