• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is this sound please?!?!

Share/Bookmark

What is this sound please?!?!

It is the sound that always tells you that it's either Christmas or Danny Elfman is about to walk in to your room. It's chimey. I think it's the celeste but is it? It's on the Edward Scissorhands mian theme at the begining and also in a alot of Christmas music for commercials. It's gotta be either a celeste or glockenspiel or music box or something. It also gets used for creepy music. Can someone make me feel confident to say "Oh that sound? Yeah, that's a celestenspielbox obviously." or whatever it is. Thanks,

Eric

Re: What is this sound please?!?!

An example would help... haven't heard Scissorhands in a long time!! Probably celeste, though I don't associate that with Christmas. Elfman and scarey, though, definitely.

I guess it's the celeste, according to this interview.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/features/elfman.asp

In the Edward Scissorhands main theme it's two celestes according to the score.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like it's the celeste. I know I have a few of them but I just dont think they sound the same as the ones I keep hearing. Any suggestions for a really good celeste? Maybe I'm just not using it right. Lol.

Eric

J. William's scores for the H. Potter series - the quiet parts where the theme is stated are a celeste.

Good celeste sound? Garritan Orchestra is pretty good - I find it works well in a cinematic sense if you slather on some extra verb - more than the other instruments, esp. if you are going for a mysterious/creepy sound.

A humble example using Garritan:

http://www.adrianelliscomposer.com/m...lloween-01.mp3

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Adrian

VSL also has a good Celesta.

D

I feel so stupid. I have GPO and, with some experimenting, have found it to sound quite good. Sorry Gary if you're reading this. Sometimes we just get over whelmed with all the toys and forget some of what we have. Yes it does sound good with a bit of verb. Thanks everybody. I'm writing a little something I'll post in a bit if I get it done with GPO celeste.

Eric

Go Back to forum