• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: JABB Big Band demo

Share/Bookmark

JABB Big Band demo

As we said, we would begin releasing big band demos at the time of product release. Well, it is now shipping so here’s the first demo. This example is taken from a book by Gary Lindsay called “Jazz Arranging Techniques - from Quartet to Big Band.” Gary is Director of Studio Jazz Writing at the University of Miami and can be reached at www.lindsayjazz.com I chose this example because it illustrates many different combinations of instruments in a brief amount of time. The instrumentation for this piece is: 2 alto saxes, 2 tenor saxes, 1 bari sax, 4 trumpets, 3 tenor trombones, 1 bass trombone, upright bass, and drums.

I did the sequencing in the new Sonar5 and used 4 instances of JABB, one for each section – saxes, trumpets, trombones, and rhythm. Gary Lindsay’s book includes a CD of the examples in the book played by a real big band. I used the recording of this piece as a reference while I sequenced. I played each of the parts in separately and then edited from there. I took the mockup to the point where I felt the musical intent of the piece was clearly communicated – the kind of information a composer could use to make a judgment about a chart before giving it to real players. Further editing could certainly be done for greater mockup detail if desired. The demo uses just a small amount of medium sized room reverb with a fairly short decay in keeping with the standard practice of mixing big band recordings relatively dry. We will probably post other approaches to this particular mix using convolution and positioning later, to show the same piece in somewhat different settings.

www.garritan.com/JABB/GLindsay1.mp3

There will be more big band demos coming. We will try to provide examples of a variety of different types of writing. Stay tuned.

Tom

Re: JABB Big Band demo

Nice Job - a couple of quick questions...

You say you used 4 instances - is each instance using 4-5 channels with the various individual parts within each section loaded?

With each voice (i.e. Alto Sax 2, Trumpet 3, etc.) do you have different articulations available, or do you need to load multiple "trumpet 3's" in order to create the various articulations (staccato, legato, forte-piano etc.)

How long did this mock-up take to create?

Thanks!

So this is without an eye toward micro-detail controller tweaks on each instrument? I would still feel quite comfortable giving this to a musicial director as a demo!

From where I'm standing, mission accomplished! Congrats!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Nice Job Tom!!.
    I love the way the trumpets get Brassier as they go through the gears and step on the gas a little.
    Wow man, this is gonna be fun.
    regards

Hey Tom, that demo absolutely rocks... It sounds extremely real...

Quote Originally Posted by Phattlippz
    Nice Job - a couple of quick questions...

You say you used 4 instances - is each instance using 4-5 channels with the various individual parts within each section loaded?

With each voice (i.e. Alto Sax 2, Trumpet 3, etc.) do you have different articulations available, or do you need to load multiple "trumpet 3's" in order to create the various articulations (staccato, legato, forte-piano etc.)

How long did this mock-up take to create?
    Tim,

Each instrument contains everything that that instrument can do. No multiple loads - one slot each. Everything you hear in the demo was done without any articulation switching except, as in GPO, sustain pedal switching for the tongue/slur function in the horns. The various articulations are designed to be handled with a combination of note length, accent strength, tongue/slur choice, and volume/timbre control - all using MIDI controllers. No "puzzle" assembly required.

I worked on this demo on and off for about 6 days, but it is difficult for me to give you the exact number of hours required because (this being the first full big band demo) I was using this as an opportunity to develop templates and procedures for the creation of future demos, among other activities. I also took time to run things past several people for their suggestions and then incorporate many of those suggestions into the finished mix. I don't want to underplay the amount of work required to take advantage of all the expressive possibilities of the programming in a sequencer environment but, on the other hand, I don't want to overplay it either. Like most things in life it takes patience and some solid work to get the best results. As we try, in the coming months, to collaborate with notation program companies we hope to integrate many of the basic JABB controller functions. At least that's one of our goals. If it succeeds that should be an enormous time-saver for those who are most comfortable working in notation. The best results will almost certainly still be achieved in a sequencing environment though and that will always require the investment of time. How much depends on your skill and what it takes for you to be satisfied. I drew an approximate line at the shipping date of the product and took steps to post when that point was reached.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Markleford
    So this is without an eye toward micro-detail controller tweaks on each instrument? I would still feel quite comfortable giving this to a musicial director as a demo!

From where I'm standing, mission accomplished! Congrats!

- m
    Thanks Markleford but . . . I said, "further editing could be done," not " I didn't do any micro-detail work!" I did *plenty* of detail work but mainly to the primary controllers: Volume/timbre, attack strength, tongue/slur, vibrato, and pitchbend. I didn't even touch many others like VAR 1 and 2, air flow noise, keyclicks, portamento, tone quality mods, or continuously variable vibrato speed. This mix shows the sound of the basics. The library supplies the tools to expressively shape the sound of the instruments but the user must do the detail work to use these tools, of course, and decide how far to take it.

Tom

P.S. If my mission is accomplished, can I watch a movie now?

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    Nice Job Tom!!.
    I love the way the trumpets get Brassier as they go through the gears and step on the gas a little.
    Wow man, this is gonna be fun.
    regards
    Thanks, Joaz. I'm going to have fun watching what you do with this beast!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by tradivoro
    Hey Tom, that demo absolutely rocks... It sounds extremely real...
    They even complain about not getting paid, during breaks between sets!

Tom

Ooooooooooo, that's nice.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast