• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ice Crystals (4 Clarinets)

Share/Bookmark

Ice Crystals (4 Clarinets)

Here's my newest work. It was composed late last night (as that's when I'm most inspired.) I've been wanting to write for clarinets for a while. They can produce such an ethereal tone in ensembles. Gary's clarinets sound great as well!

Ice Crystals

This performance was rendered with Finale 2006 and GPO. I would like to do more editing with the tempo to create more of a rubato feel.

Let me know what you think.

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Ice Crystals (4 Clarinets)

An interesting piece, Donald; evocative use of this unusual ensemble to effectively produce a chilly and austere environment.

I would concur that more work with tempi would be desirable; and possibly more delicate management of dynamics in places: I have the sense that nuancing these elements is crucial to bringing out the best in this.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: Ice Crystals (4 Clarinets)

Thanks, David. I guess the mission is accomplished . . . creating the 'environment' you speak of.

And yes, the whole point of this work is carefully observing dynamic contrast and push and pull of tempo.

Thanks for your comments. I wrote this for 4 clarinetists in our band at the college. Handed it to them today to have them take a look. Hopefully we'll work it up for next semester.

Brasspig
    Donald W. Sorah
    Doctoral Teaching Assistant
    Florida State University
    Tallahassee, FL

Go Back to forum