• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB question - Vibes

Share/Bookmark

JABB question - Vibes

Gary, hope you can help me....

Been looking for a soft-mallet vibraphone instrument and would love to purchase JABB if it'll give me a Lionel Hampton-style soft-mallet vibes.

But the demo on the Garritan website seems to be the hard-mallet.

Any chance of hearing the soft-mallet version???

Thanks!!!

Re: JABB question - Vibes

Hi Tim,

JABB has both hard-mallet and soft-mallet vibraphone. The soft-mallet vibraphone is played with Jackson soft beaters.

As far as a specific demo, we'll eventually do a soft-mallet demo but right now our focus is doing more big band demos.

Gary Garritan

Gary, were the vibes recordied using the Burton grip? Because if they were recorded using the Stephens grip I don't want any part of it!

just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by shnurgle
    Gary, were the vibes recordied using the Burton grip? Because if they were recorded using the Stephens grip I don't want any part of it!
    It could have been a schnurgle grip .

Ah yes, the Shnurgle grip. One mallet between the thumb and index finger, one between the pinky and ring finger, and 17 mallets between the big toe and grundlepatch.

Only two men on the planet can perform it with any degree of accuracy, and I'm neither.

A tricky technique to be sure, but I've been told that once you master it, life seems to get a little bit sweeter. Checkout lines at the grocery store are shorter, gas prices go down, and that pesky restraining order filed by your old kindergarten teacher gets miraculously lifted.

If only I had more mallets, my brothers.

Go Back to forum