• Register
  • Help

Topic: Taking the plunge 2.5>3

Share/Bookmark

Question Taking the plunge 2.5>3

Hello Forum members,

I'm currently running Gigastudio 96 V2.5. I'm now ready to upgrade to version V3
    but first would like to find out a few things:
    1) Is the orchestral version worth the extra bucks considering the fact I don't think I'm going to make my own reverb impulses and I already have Opus 1 and Epic horns. + I'm only running Gigastudio on one computer. (PIV 3.0 GHZ 1 Gig RAM)
    2) Will I be able to use my Echo Gina 24 soundcard. Only the Beta driver 6.8 seems to support GSIF 2.0. Is it save to use this driver version ?
    3) Can I use the performances in V3 that I've made with V2.5
    Very important because there is a lot of work in them and I'm still using some in current projects.
    4) Do I still use the performance tool or does V3 use other means for getting the VSL legatos
    5) On my gigacomputer I'm also running V-stack. Will I be able to share my soundcard with V3 / V-stack ?

Answers are higly appreciated

Cheers,

Ruud Jan

Re: Taking the plunge 2.5>3

I can only answer #3 & 4-

3. GS 3 is supposed to read 2.5 gsp's but I've had a lot of trouble with that. Usually they'll load, (sometimes not) but when you start to play a sequence, the computer will often BSOD. My workaround is to load the 2.5 performance, write down the instruments, channels & settings, then re-build a new one from scratch. Time consuming, but since I waited until I had a week's break between projects to upgrade, I've only had to go back to old performances a couple of times. I'd suggest waiting for a clean break in your work to upgrade.

4. You still have to use the Performance Tool, although some future libraries will make use of the new MIDI features in GS3 and will achieve similar results without the PT.

Quote Originally Posted by 02051964
    Hello Forum members,

I'm currently running Gigastudio 96 V2.5. I'm now ready to upgrade to version V3
    but first would like to find out a few things:
    1) Is the orchestral version worth the extra bucks considering the fact I don't think I'm going to make my own reverb impulses and I already have Opus 1 and Epic horns. + I'm only running Gigastudio on one computer. (PIV 3.0 GHZ 1 Gig RAM)

I have found the demo content to be very good. They are usable sounds..I have composed with them. The Orchestra version has more included content, so for me it is worth it.

Gigapulse is a big let down for mer. it sounds great, but it's more trouble than it's worth. I like to record dry in Cubase and then apply effects. The vst would probably work better for me, but it is only offered as a seperate product.

1) What really worth paying extra for the Orchestra version (aside from the effects) is that it enables you to have unlimited voices (depending on your computer specs) and the 8 midi i/os. If you don't need that much you can get Ensemble. As for the orchestral samples included I find it very basic, and the rest of the sounds from other developers aren't really that playable either(limited notes in some cases), so the main thing to consider would be the features I highlighted earlier.

3) For my case so far no crashes when I load up some of my old performance files, but I stress that I only opened less than 10 of them so far since I seldom re-use them.

4) GS3 has a built in Imidi feature which you can access to. They seemed to take some features from Performance Tool ver.1 of VSL where you can get the legatos working. But since it's version 1, might as well you use the actual one from VSL. But maybe in the future there might be more interesting presets for you to use to enhance the performances.

Hope this helps.
    Peter Wong
    NEXUSCREATIVE.COM
    MUSIC . SOUND . MULTIMEDIA DESIGN

Go Back to forum