• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Topic: X-Custom Instruments

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member fastlane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Shelton, Washington State
    Posts
    3,022

    X-Custom Instruments

    Someone was posting at macmusic.org about needing standard velocity with their GPO that the x-custom instruments have. I told him about them and where they were but the latest Kontakt update has reversed their velocity response. If he has the older player I told him not to update it. I'm wondering if there is a work around for that or will it take a fix from NI.

  2. #2

    Re: X-Custom Instruments

    He should go ahead and update his player. The workaround is an easy one: Set the assignable slider to negative values instead of positive values. This will re-invert the function to normal. This problem does not seem to affect the Percussive instruments that use velocity, like piano. The slider can remain in positive territory for Percussive instruments - at least the few I've checked. When I find time I will re-program the X-Custom instruments to load without the inversion but, for now, this should do the trick.

    Tom

  3. #3

    Re: X-Custom Instruments

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    He should go ahead and update his player. The workaround is an easy one: Set the assignable slider to negative values instead of positive values. This will re-invert the function to normal. This problem does not seem to affect the Percussive instruments that use velocity, like piano. The slider can remain in positive territory for Percussive instruments - at least the few I've checked. When I find time I will re-program the X-Custom instruments to load without the inversion but, for now, this should do the trick.

    Tom
    Does this apply only to the Mac? I'm having a problem with my PC that seems very similar to this one.

    Dennis

  4. #4

    Re: X-Custom Instruments

    Quote Originally Posted by sandden1
    Does this apply only to the Mac? I'm having a problem with my PC that seems very similar to this one.

    Dennis
    It applies to the X-Custom instruments regardless of platform.

    Tom

  5. #5

    Re: X-Custom Instruments

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    It applies to the X-Custom instruments regardless of platform.

    Tom
    Well, that was fast! Thank you, I can get some sleep now.

    Dennis

  6. #6

    Re: X-Custom Instruments

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    .... The workaround is an easy one: Set the assignable slider to negative values instead of positive values. This will re-invert the function to normal. This problem does not seem to affect the Percussive instruments that use velocity, like piano. The slider can remain in positive territory for Percussive instruments - at least the few I've checked. When I find time I will re-program the X-Custom instruments to load without the inversion but, for now, this should do the trick.

    Tom
    This solution should be a sticky!

    Bosco Adama

  7. #7

    Re: X-Custom Instruments

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    The workaround is an easy one: Set the assignable slider to negative values instead of positive values. This will re-invert the function to normal. This problem does not seem to affect the Percussive instruments that use velocity, like piano. The slider can remain in positive territory for Percussive instruments - at least the few I've checked. When I find time I will re-program the X-Custom instruments to load without the inversion but, for now, this should do the trick.

    Tom
    I hate to be picky, but it is more just an inversion of the slider value. The achievable dynamics are much higher with the slider in the positive area but they have that inverted behaviour.

    For a test play a scale notes of the Violin I section with a modwheel value of 1 and 127 and measure the max output level.

    Normal samples:
    cc01=1 -> -41 dB
    cc01=127 -> -13 dB
    Resulting dynamic range = 28 dB

    x-custom samples, modwheel slider - 99% (-100% will give zero output for cc01=1)
    cc01=1 -> -12 dB
    cc01=127 -> -60 dB
    Resulting dynamic range= 48 dB

    x-custom samples, modwheel slider + 100%
    cc01=1 -> 00 dB
    cc01=126 -> -55 dB
    Resulting dynamic range = 55 dB

    Maybe I am wrong but I see quite some consequences here. A usable dynamic headroom that is nearer to 60 dB than to 30 dB would give much more room for phrasing within one dynamic step. So this basically is not a technical but a musical issue for me. I would like to do more differentiated phrasing and so I need the means for it. Please tell me if I can be of assistance here in any way.

    Hannes

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •