• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestion for JABB in updates

Share/Bookmark

Suggestion for JABB in updates

I received the JABB, and all the sounds are terrific, I can see the possibilities for generating very realistic jazz scores... However, in its present state, it creates a problem for the composer that does not work out his compositions from a score... If you try to play horns, saxes, it only plays in monophonic mode... That's a great idea, for when you've finally realized the score and you want to assign an individual line to each part of the score...

However, if you're a composer like me, who composes in real time, I want to hear the harmony with the instrument I'm composing it for, not write a score and then hear it...

So, unless I missed something, (not unusual ) it appears that you're stuck with the horns and saxes in mono mode... If that's the case, can we please have the option in the future to have the aforementioned instruments play both in polyphonic mode and monophonic mode...

Very likely, somebody might say, oh if you want polyphonic mode, all you gotta do is blah, blah, and I would be very grateful, at the risk of seeming like a dummy... But if not, please consider adding this option in a future update...

P.S. I like that the DVD looks like a long playing record...

Re: Suggestion for JABB in updates

For polyphonic mode (assuming the interface is similar to GPO's, I don't have it so I can't tell you for sure if its the same) you will notice two very tiny eighth notes followed by a 0 / # (where number is a changing voice limit depending on the instrument loaded.) This is to the right of the word OMNI and the left of the RAM usage indicator for the sample loaded at the bottom of the central box containing the loaded instruments information (the box that shows empty if nothing is loaded.)

Just click and drag up on that # and it will raise the polyphony limit for that instrument.

These are saved with the Kontakt instance, so upon reload it remains. Repeat the process in reverse to set it back to monophonic mode.

Hope that doesn't confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Just click and drag up on that # and it will raise the polyphony limit for that instrument.
    I don't usually post on weekends but I had to step in here quickly and say, "not this time." Joseph is correct for GPO instruments, but the JABB instruments take a totally different approach to the mono mode compared to that used in GPO - JABB horns do not rely on polyphony assignment limitations to create the mono mode but, rather, the application of "exclusive" groups. This was necessary to allow many of the advanced features that required co-existing, independent layers while simultaneously retaining the essential tongue/slur function which can only operate in mono mode. So, long story short, increasing the polyphony will have no effect on the monophonic nature of the instruments. This aspect of instrument function cannot be modified by the user in the much more complex (than GPO) JABB horns.

As to an update that includes the ability to play horns polyphonically, I would need to create a choice that strips out and discards most of the advanced features leaving a simple polyphonic "sketch" instrument. It is not possible to retain many of the advanced features and give the polyphonic choice in the same instrument. Just a fact of life for complexity of this magnitude.

Tom

No misinformation intended. I wasn't aware of this. Sorry.

Thanks Joseph and Tom for your responses... Tom, I"m certain that there's a lot of great stuff under the hood, which I've become aware of by reading the manual, and playing the patches... Certainly for the final execution, jabb is going to sound great, once I put each line in their correct place and program in all the articulations via controllers... I'm no stranger to doing this kind of work in the final score..

However, some thing to consider is maybe putting in a patch that is polyphonic, separate from the other patches, which may not have all the programming capabilities, but used just for the purposes of composing the actual piece... Cause right now, I have to go back to my old tools to compose the piece, and thinking of executing the final master with jabb... Anyway, just food for thought...

Thumbs up Re: Suggestion for JABB in updates

I do it the old fashioned way - switch to the piano and try it there before creating the parts for the individual instruments.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

I follow a similar procedure:

I create a 6/8 line sketch for the heavy lifting and then click drag and paste into the score template to listen ..I hope I'll be able to continue this with the JABB package in Finale 2006a ( no outboard dedicated sequencers involved )

Well, in the meantime, I'll use my other sounds... On another note, I've spent about 45 minutes playing with the falloffs, doits and kisses in the trumpets using cc15... Great stuff...

Revisiting my post above, my response seems explanatory but ambiguous. To clarify: As with all suggestions, it goes on the update list for future consideration.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Revisiting my post above, my response seems explanatory but ambiguous. To clarify: As with all suggestions, it goes on the update list for future consideration.

Tom
    Fair enough Tom, much appreciated.... Meanwhile, you've done a great job, and it's a great achievement... Certainly a great new addition to the orchestral library world...

Go Back to forum