• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Laptop advice

Share/Bookmark

Laptop advice

Hi All!

I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that I can use to comfortably run GPO with Ove4. There are so many choices and I'm not sure what speed the CPU should be. What is the power of a Centrino 1.7Ghz compared to my current desktop's P4 2.53Ghz? Are they similar? What can any of you suggest?

I'll appreciate any help .

Thank you

LouisD

Re: Laptop advice

Well, I wish I could help on this. I also have some slight interest in getting a laptop. However, the only laptop item I could comment on with any competence would be related to blue eyes and blond hair.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Hi All!

I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I'm looking to buy a new laptop that I can use to comfortably run GPO with Ove4.
    Hello, LouisD

I use Cubase SL3, KONTAKT2(VSTi), VSL(bundled with KONTAKT2) and GPO with IBM Thinkpad T41, Pentium M 1.7GHz. It's all too often confortable !
    But, I have to set ASIO buffer size over 500 samples when I use built-in SoundMAX digital Audio with Asio4All driver.

I think HDD speed is more important factor if you will use DFD mode. 7200rpm HDDs are necessary, however, many laptops have internal 5400rpms. I use two 7200rpm internal HDDs, and sometimes music sounds staccato.

Doralin, I noticed your location. If you happen to be poking around the harbor, and find a cornet mouthpiece that has been reposing on the bottom since 1952, you may claim it as your own. I have since replaced it.

Richard

Hi,Richard

If I find your golden mouthpiece at Yokohama harbor, I'm going to make a report here.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I wish I could help on this. I also have some slight interest in getting a laptop. However, the only laptop item I could comment on with any competence would be related to blue eyes and blond hair.

Richard
    That's gorgeous !!

Quote Originally Posted by Doralin
    Hello, LouisD

I use Cubase SL3, KONTAKT2(VSTi), VSL(bundled with KONTAKT2) and GPO with IBM Thinkpad T41, Pentium M 1.7GHz. It's all too often confortable !
    But, I have to set ASIO buffer size over 500 samples when I use built-in SoundMAX digital Audio with Asio4All driver.

I think HDD speed is more important factor if you will use DFD mode. 7200rpm HDDs are necessary, however, many laptops have internal 5400rpms. I use two 7200rpm internal HDDs, and sometimes music sounds staccato.
    Thanks fo the reply. Is Pentium M the same as Centrino?? Forgive my total ignorance.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    Is Pentium M the same as Centrino??
    Yes! "Intel Centrino technology" is consited of Pentium M, Intel Chipset, Intel wireless network and so on.

By the way, could it be that you are "Louis Dekker" who composed beautiful "Concertino for English Horn & Orchestra" in ACIDplanet ?
    He is one of my favorite artists I added to List.

I recently uploaded "Notturno (Nocturne)" and "Siegfried Idyll" to ACIDplanet, which was sequenced using Laptop PC.

I'm running GPO and lots of other stuff just great on a Compaq Presario with an AMD processor. Good deals on those at Best Buy.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Quote Originally Posted by Doralin
    Yes! "Intel Centrino technology" is consited of Pentium M, Intel Chipset, Intel wireless network and so on.

By the way, could it be that you are "Louis Dekker" who composed beautiful "Concertino for English Horn & Orchestra" in ACIDplanet ?
    He is one of my favorite artists I added to List.

I recently uploaded "Notturno (Nocturne)" and "Siegfried Idyll" to ACIDplanet, which was sequenced using Laptop PC.
    Thanks for the technology advice. I was never sure if Pentium M and Centrino is the same processor. So the million dollar question is: will I get the same or better performance in using GPO on a Centrino 1.7Ghz Laptop as on a desktop Pentium 4 2.53Ghz? Or can one not compare the two?

Thanks again for the replies. And BTW, it is me who wrote the English Horn Concerto using GPO. Thanks for listening to it.

Kind Regards

LouisD

Go Back to forum