• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Your Top 10 Favorite Game Scores of All Time

Your Top 10 Favorite Game Scores of All Time

I don't think it's ever been done here, but I'd like to know what everyone's favorite top 10 game scores are. I'm not talking about game scores where you listen to it on its own and think "This is really good music"--I'm talking about game scores that really immersed you in the game and took you to a different world. (This would have to assume you're actually a passionate gamer too--not just a composer)

Mine (In no particular order)

System Shock 2
    The Longest Journey
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    Unreal Tournament 200X series/Unreal Championship series..etc
    Silent Hill
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Lineage II
    Omnikron: Nomad Soul

Re: Your Top 10 Favorite Game Scores of All Time

Good topic to liven things up a bit

Here's mine as well, in no particular order except #1, which is clearly my favourite game soundtrack.. which I'll describe.

Vagrant Story
    A beautiful and immersive score that colors all the dark tones of the lost city of Lea Monde where it takes place. The intro is especially spectacular, using dynamic music within a 10 minute piece combining cutscenes and gameplay in one sequence. Particularily innovative for a PSX title. The samples and instrumentation were also notable for that generation, using a heavy dose of extended techniques not usually explored with that system's playback. Though the game lacks voiceovers, the music carries each character's theme along and almost speaks for them during the cutscenes through well-crafted pieces.

Silent Hill 2
    Chrono Cross
    Chrono Trigger
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Valkyrie Profile
    Metal Gear Solid 2
    Shadow of Destiny

Fan of Japanese games, eh?

Final Fantasy VI - the first game I noticed the music as playing a significant role
    Secret of Mana - also significant in terms of melodic writing for synths
    Final Fantasy VII - made several leaps forward, crossed many genre boundaries
    Final Fantasy Tactics - how could anyone not notice this great Wagnerian effort?
    Wild Arms - the Morricone-Western approach shows how film music styles could work in games
    Total Annihilation - monumental effort on Soule's part, how did he do this?
    The Dig - shows you do not need an orchestra to make an effective score
    Heart of Darkness - Bruce Broughton's score to this again shows how effective film-like scores work in games
    Outcast - I feel this game's soundtrack has yet to be surpassed in terms of its massive scale
    Shenmue - can't understand why there aren't more game soundtracks like this one

ten's too many for my brain:

Zone of the Enders
    Armed and Dangerous
    Medal of Honor
    FF VII
    Star Wars: KotoR

Michael Peter

If music be the food of love...
    play on

William Shakespeare

My brain isn't working this morning either, but here are my notable mentions. As you can tell, I'm a sucker for the old skoolers...

The Legend of Zelda (Original NES)
    Kid Icarus (NES)
    Metal Gear (NES)
    Metroid (NES)
    Myst (really the whole series is outstanding, but the original is still my favorite for nostalgic reasons)
    Final Fantasy X
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
    Metroid Prime

And I just started playing Beyond Good And Evil, and I'm really enjoying that soundtrack. Tim Larkin comped me a copy of Myst V and he's done some great work with that as well.

More as I can remember them...

I'm so glad someone mentioned Vagrant Story! A few years ago I'd just heard an mp3 or two from it, and was immediately wowed by its level of expression and innovation; soon thereafter, it became the first game soundtrack I ever bought. I could go on and on about it, but for now I'll just say that to this day I've never heard anything quite like it - perhaps it was the first "Expressionist" videogame soundtrack (in the Schoenberg sense). Kind of a shame he hasn't had a chance to do much else in this particular manner, but Final Fantasy 12 is coming out soon....

Anyways, my list:

Tied for #1) Vagrant Story || Medal of Honor: Frontline
    Tied for #2) Metal Gear Solid 2 AND 3
    ...3?) Morrowind
    Screw the ordering) Chrono Cross/Trigger, Xenogears, Final Fantasy 6, Final Fantasy Tactics

I think that adds up to 10. And yeah, I realize there's a lot of composer overlap... when you're hot you're hot, what can I say
    Wilbert Roget, II

I don't play enough to be able to name 10 But I would include:

Monkey Island
    the Myst games
    SimCity 3000
    The Zelda games

I've heard some of the Final Fantasy music, but I've never played the game. The music, however, is awesome.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

When you get older you're less hormonal and have only a top 5

Myst Riven
    Myst Exile
    Omega Stone

A top five in no particular order...

The original Zelda (NES)
    Zelda III (SNES)
    Final Fantasy II (SNES)
    Final Fantasy III (SNES)
    Actraiser (SNES)

Hmm... starts to put a date on my gaming eh?
    Thing is, past a certain age that youthful enthusiasm to play a said game for countless hours (thus allowing the music to really drill itself into your head!) was no longer there...
    You play, but not as much - it just doesn't hold the interest as long.. I know I'm not the only one too, friends of mine who if anything were much bigger fanatics have reported similar feelings..

These days I find myself turning game music off, not because it isn't good but because of the endless repetition - no matter how good a theme or musical gesture is, it just can't survive being heard every five minutes over a gaming session lasting several hours...
    Which is unfortunate since one then never hears the music that comes later on in the game.
    The stuff that borders on sound design is even less tolerable over extended game play... the winning themes in things such as Zelda III or Final Fantasy II (perhaps my favourites overall..) is what made them tolerable, even enjoyable over those long stretches of hours.

Sorry for having veered off the topic..

Go Back to forum