• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: New VSL Instruments = RIP GS?

Share/Bookmark

New VSL Instruments = RIP GS?

Have you seen the new VSL instruments? Looks amazing. Their own sample player with all teh tools built in and a 500gig library!

With East West and VSL now doing their own thing, what's the point of GS? That plus the upcoming 64bit longhorn OS - given how appalling the bug fixing has been in GS3 - I can't imagine the transition will be easy if they do it at all.

RIP GS?

Re: New VSL Instruments = RIP GS?

I think that GS could now be on the way out. VSL was one of the biggest libraries to use this format and while there are many other libraries that still offer GS format I wonder how much longer it will be worth it for developers to support this platform.

Assuming that the VSL VIs are half as good as it seems, I will gradually retire all but 1 of my GS machines and probably not update that unless there is a feature that I really need.

D

It may sound like science fiction today, but you too will be replaced one day. Native Instruments' "Jon Wyllyams In A Box" will make you redundant in a not so distant future.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    It may sound like science fiction today, but you too will be replaced one day. Native Instruments' "Jon Wyllyams In A Box" the will make you redundant in a not so distant future.
    Ah, but if it is from Native Instuments, not only will it look worse than me, be even more awkward to use, but will crash so often that I will be reinstated!

D

Well, the relative merits of the VSL/VI approach and open samples with Giga have been debated extensively on the sample forum. FWIW, I prefer sticking with Giga if possible.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. I'm certainly afraid that the platform could just gradually fade away now, with its biggest developer abandoning it.

OTOH, there's another possibility. Somebody or somebodies such as Sonic Implants etc, could conceivably see this as a great opportunity, and step into the void created by VSL. If SI were to upgrade their orchestral collection to really make the most of Giga 3 (with legato samples etc.) they could basically be the only game in town for those who want to work that way. They already have a sweet and well-respected product, so this may well be a way forward for them.

Whether this works or not, for both them and Tascam, would then depend on the priorities of the current VSL user base: whether it's more important to them to stay with VSL, or to stay with an open platform.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl
    I think that GS could now be on the way out. VSL was one of the biggest libraries to use this format and while there are many other libraries that still offer GS format I wonder how much longer it will be worth it for developers to support this platform.

Assuming that the VSL VIs are half as good as it seems, I will gradually retire all but 1 of my GS machines and probably not update that unless there is a feature that I really need.

D

Probably exactly what I will be doing with my 3 GS machines (Although, as my older GS libraries are 'long in the tooth' - it wouldn't surprise me if I don't use GS anymore - of course pending getting blown away with the new extended material from VSL.

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

It does make it a lot harder for smaller developers like Project SAM and Dan Dean as people buy mega-libraries first and foremost and then fill in the gaps. That leaves less room for them I suppose.

I'm moving gradually onto Kontakt 2 for general sampling and EWQL and VSL for the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    That's an interesting phenomenon. I think most of us keep a lot of equipment, library and software hanging around with every intention of using it. Somehow, though, it never gets used (most likely because we fall in love with the new thing). I still have five Emu E4XTs and a couple racks of synth modules that haven't been switched on in a LONG time. I should get rid of them, but I like the mad-scientist look that they give my studio.

Lee Blaske
    Lee,

I still have a S5000 Studio Akai in my rack (hasn't been turned on in over 2.5 years.) Know anyone tired of all this PC stuff that wants to go retro to AKAI sampler. Make em a screaming deal

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by flashman
    Their own sample player with all teh tools built in and a 500gig library!
    Like everything in computers and technology today, everything is overkill! Personally I think software developers will end up falling by the wayside in general. Who needs all this software and a 500 gig library too make good music anymore let alone all these sounds? Developers say we need that 500 Gigs to stay cutting edge and I say nonsense! The next best thing in software and DAW technology doesn't make the artist, talent and skill do. If you have no skill and talent, no amount of software/sounds is going to make talent out of no talent. I still have plenty of Akai discs in my software collection so my software sampler is not going anywhere soon.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything new in the way of software and sounds anymore. I already have gigabytes of sounds that could keep me busy for the rest of my life. I'll stick with mastering the software I already have. I already have plenty more than I need to make msuic let alone adding another 500 GB of sounds. I just don't need it and my wallet loves me for it.

With the cost of VSL, one has to wonder just how big they really are. Especially compared to something like GPO. Only someone with pretty deep pockets would be shelling out that kind of dough and that is not the majority market.

- G

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast