• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Christmas lights

Share/Bookmark

Christmas lights

I spent a couple of years writing software to control stage lighting (it's how Show Programming got its name). If I was still working on that project, I'm sure this is what I would do with my house this year.

http://www.s140891385.onlinehome.us/Hosted/wizardsofwinter.wmv
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Thumbs up Re: Christmas lights

Wow! That is so cool!

I'd do that too but most of my neighbors pack heat.

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Thumbs up Re: Christmas lights

Not bad! Someone you know?
    Lighting and effects are my second passion. I wonder if this person set up the program and sequence?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Styxx

Re: Christmas lights

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I wonder if this person set up the program and sequence?
    If this is the same one posted a few days ago (I can’t look at work) it was done one frame at a time – look closely and things are added as it goes on. Count the frames and do the math – there was a huge amount of work to do this not including the planning.

Some people have too much time on their hands………but it’s till cool. (I also wanted to use this smiley - finally found a fitting place.)
    Trent P. McDonald

Cool video, but uuuggh- the soundtrack sounds like Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Someone needs to take a nailgun to those guys.

Smile )

Wow! He needs to have one of those epilepsy warnings posted on street front signs! I really enjoy seeing what other people put together during the holidays. There is a great deal of creativity out there!

I am going through Christmas lighting joy at the moment. The wife decided halfway through putting up lights and she decided we needed to go a new direction. Granted, her new direction is very nice, but it is alot of work!

The end result will be nice, a snowy scene with deer drinking from a river and christmas trees as the forested area. (I live around Phoenix Arizona, so this is not a normal sight!) The only moving lights are the blue lights simulating running water. I have to admit that working on something like this is a great deal of fun and seeing the end result is satisfying.

-LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    If this is the same one posted a few days ago (I can’t look at work) it was done one frame at a time – look closely and things are added as it goes on. Count the frames and do the math – there was a huge amount of work to do this not including the planning.

Some people have too much time on their hands………but it’s till cool. (I also wanted to use this smiley - finally found a fitting place.)
    Ah yes, now that you've mentioned it.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Not bad! Someone you know?
    Lighting and effects are my second passion. I wonder if this person set up the program and sequence?
    No, just a link a friend of mine sent me because she knew about the software I'd developed.

Didn't know you were into all the lighting & stuff. Do you use dedicated DMX controller consoles or have you moved to software based systems?
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Cool video, but uuuggh- the soundtrack sounds like Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Someone needs to take a nailgun to those guys.
    Okay, so I guess this rules out the possibility that it's Fred's house...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    I'd do that too but most of my neighbors pack heat.

Nothing to worry about. Just put a great big Lone Star on the top of your house, and you'll be the hit of the neighborhood!
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Go Back to forum