• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some advice for using JABB

Share/Bookmark

Some advice for using JABB

Hello People. I need some advise, please:
    Iīm really enjoying JABB, but for the most realism and expression I need a lot of midi controllers, as pitch, mod wheel (volume) and aftertouch. I canīt use more than 4 instruments without receiving overload messages and tempo drifting from my sequencer (logic PC 5.5.1 into a motu parallel midi interface, P4 3.0 gh, 1 gig ram, JABB is running on a separate PC on V-Stack with similar specs)
    How can I handle this without get ridding of those needed cotrollers?
    I donīt want to render the instruments as audio until I have done al the sequencing.
    Please, I need help!!!
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Jose Pereira
    Venezuela

Re: Some advice for using JABB

Quote Originally Posted by mmz
    Hello People. I need some advise, please:
    Iīm really enjoying JABB, but for the most realism and expression I need a lot of midi controllers, as pitch, mod wheel (volume) and aftertouch. I canīt use more than 4 instruments without receiving overload messages and tempo drifting from my sequencer (logic PC 5.5.1 into a motu parallel midi interface, P4 3.0 gh, 1 gig ram, JABB is running on a separate PC on V-Stack with similar specs)
    How can I handle this without get ridding of those needed cotrollers?
    I donīt want to render the instruments as audio until I have done al the sequencing.
    Please, I need help!!!
    Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Jose Pereira
    Venezuela
    Hi,
    I use V-STack also, and if you are only able to use four intruments and you have drifting tempos, that is most certainly a Logic problem, and has nothing to do with JABB on the other PC. I'm not sure what to tell you, except it sounds like Logic is letting you down in a big way. Do you have GPO? and if so, how does it work with the same setup?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hi,
    I use V-STack also, and if you are only able to use four intruments and you have drifting tempos, that is most certainly a Logic problem, and has nothing to do with JABB on the other PC. I'm not sure what to tell you, except it sounds like Logic is letting you down in a big way. Do you have GPO? and if so, how does it work with the same setup?

Dan
    Hi DPDAN
    Thanks for your replay.
    V-Stack works perfectly as it does Logic, but until now (with JABB) I needed so much controllers in use in every track for brass and woodwinds to make them realistic enough (at least to me) to be usable. JABB is awsome, I like it so much and have some much expectations for my works but is so frustrating when I see that Logic canīt handle so much data info in real time, or, there is any adjustment in Logic that allows me to use all this controller data at the same time?? I donīt want to "thin" some data or get ride of it, I want to use as much as need for my works. And this only happened with 4 trombones and a Sax Bari, in the first 8 bars of a piece I was "toying". Of course, itīs obvius that at this stage I canīt even think to do some serius arrangements of large big bands or latin big bands (my speciality) with 4 Trp, 3 Bones and 4 Saxes.
    Please people, do you know what must I do in Logic to handle a fair large amount of midi data without restrains, overflowing it, blocking, or whatever the work is?????
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Regards
    Jose Pereira

Thin controller data - you should be able to reduce the data by half or a third and get the same results, except for continuous pitch bend.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Thin controller data - you should be able to reduce the data by half or a third and get the same results, except for continuous pitch bend.
    Hi Houston. Pitch bend is the worse of all!! I, (as the manual says) use pitch bend to emulate fall offs on the trombones and saxes (ugh) and this controller seems to be the worse of all (too dense?)

Please: EXCUSE MY POOR ENGLISH!!! Is too dificult to explain this problem without the proper words. Sorry

Sometimes this helps. Quantise the controller data when you record.
    For example when doing Mod wheel, set your quantisation, to 32's.I know this helps in Cubase.
    regards

I've always been embarrassingly liberal with my MIDI data - almost never bother to thin it down unless it happens to have been auto-quantized by the view I was in. If you're have these kinds of problems, I'd seriously consider going to a new host. I went from Logic PC to Cubase SX and have never been happier.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum