• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help for a Newby

Share/Bookmark

Help for a Newby

Ok, I’ve bit the bullet and now have GS96. I waited until the box was robust enough to run it properly ( I think..)

Athlon1.3
    1g memory
    Matrox450,dual monitors
    c Drive30g Maxtor 7200
    d Drive 30g maxtor 7200
    I have a sled with a 60g Maxtor 7200 partioned into two 30\'s (Drive G and H)

I also have a backup maxtor partioned with a ghosted c drive for backup
    Mia card plus a Yamaha sw1000xg( unfortunately Yamaha does not have drivers for GigaStudio)

My question is what is the best way to distribute things. Programs on C probably, but what then?

Any help would be appreciated... Earl

Re: Help for a Newby

Choices, choices...

THere are several schools of thought on this, and mine is only one, not necessarily the best. BUT...

First: DON\'T put the samples on the system drive.

On the remaining drives, assuming you\'re doing orchestral type stuff:

Split the sections between the three drives (strings on D, winds and keys on G, brass and percussion on H)

THe principle I\'m using here is to keep similar instruments in the same drive, but divide up the access so all drives are used about equally.

OR, you could just:
    Remove the partition, put all the audio on the 60 Gig.

You\'ve got plenty of horsepower, you shouldn\'t need to worry, you\'ll run out of voices before you run out of disk access. Even with GS160, should have no problem.

Dasher

I greatly appreciate your reply..

Maybe I soon will be able to do what all this is for...... Music!

Maybe I soon will be able to do what all this is for...... Music!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] But don\'t be surprized if it takes a LOT longer at first. THe real gain will come when you just played that PERFECT track-except for two terrible clams. And then you fix them...

Sweet. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck.

Dasher

I\'m very discouraged.. I\'ve spent considresble time and money before Buying GS96..and it won\'t install..I get a procedure entry point message re: kernal32 dll. In nadditoin, It has fouled up my optical mouse, which now is restricted to a small area in tne screen, and will move to the 2nd monitor (matrox450)The install does not seem to like the Promise card and the third hd connected to it...I think... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ((

What OS do you have?
    Win XP/2000?

If so, then you need to download Giga upgrade 2.50.48 for Win XP/2000!
    Otherwise, Giga won\'t install with version you have in original CD-rom.

Are you using sequencer with same machine or is this Giga standalone machine?
    I would guess so, because you have Mia and SW1000.

By the way, there are GSIF drivers for SW1000XG, but latency is bad (23-28 ms
    like with all applications, it\'s hardware restricted, can\'t get lower latency!)

Your right.It won\'t install. HOWEVER how do you get the updated driver if you can\'t register???
    I can\'t even find the updated drivers on Tascams site, and I acan\'t register to ask on Tascams site because the password they gave me does not work, and they don\'t respond to my request for help to log on!! By the way The driver for the sw1000xp seems to work only for Gigasampler...

Th say that I am frustrated is an understatment.....

Thanks for the reply..
    I was reluctant to do this, because if I\'ve registered it its MINE even if it wont work. If It doesn\'t work, and I\'ve not registered it, I have a slim chance of negotiating a return from the dealer....

Go Back to forum