• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: please, no more Kompakt players!!!

Share/Bookmark

please, no more Kompakt players!!!

So now the well-loved Peter Siedlaczek library is out in a Kompakt player format...at a great upgrade price, but I don't think I'll go for it.

The Kompakt player is really just a cheapo way to repackage content in a piracy-proof format IMO.

It offers NO benefits to the User: it has a fiddly, tiny interface, a paltry TWO FIXED modulation routings (I know, I'm shouting....).....and that's it.

Now I actually think highly of Native Instruments as a company...and Kontakt 2 is very powerful. But the Kompakt players look so pathetic....check out what VSL have done with their new VI to make sample content, fun , fast , and powerful to use. That's what NI should be doing, too.

Nigel

Re: please, no more Kompakt players!!!

I have only one kompakt Player library and it stinks big time. In the future, I will simply avoid any library that uses this player.

Are you using the latest version, and have you tweaked your DFD settings? It's working fine on both Mac and PC over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Actually, the "great" upgrade price is one of the benefits. CP gives the company more confidence that they'll be able to sell a number of copies before the pirates take over. That allows them to sell the product at a more reasonable cost.

The VSL VI looks wonderful, but not every company has the resources and deep pockets needed to build such a piece of software.

I believe an improved Kontakt player is on the way (incorporating features needed, for instance, to run the new Garritan solo violin).

Lee Blaske
    wise post Lee, and good points, thanks.

If the Player is improved I'll give 3 cheers :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Batzdorf
    Are you using the latest version, and have you tweaked your DFD settings? It's working fine on both Mac and PC over here.
    Hi Nick, are you asking me...? I'm sure I have the latest Kompakt player version , not that much has changed AFAIK. The streaming settings are not my bugbear so much, it's the lack of modulation routings and the fiddly patch selection I find frustrating.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel W
    So now the well-loved Peter Siedlaczek library is out in a Kompakt player format...at a great upgrade price, but I don't think I'll go for it.
    Its not a kompakt player - its a kontakt player.
    Thats a difference!
    Kompakt player looks bigger, but does not recognize midi controller.
    Kontakt player has all the features of kontakt included, you just can not change or edit.

The Kompakt player is really just a cheapo way to repackage content in a piracy-proof format IMO.
    Thats absolutely right. Its cheap for you - not for the developer, he pays a licence fee to NI.
    The copy-protection even lowers the price for you.
    Without a copy-protection the developer has to get the money for 2 years work and the bills
    of the complete stringsection in the first two weeks or so.

It offers NO benefits to the User: it has a fiddly, tiny interface, a paltry TWO FIXED modulation routings (I know, I'm shouting....).....and that's it.
    The interface is crab, right, but the benefit is there when you open the patches in kontakt 2.
    The kontakt-player interface is just like a cheap bag to pack the content and offer it for a low price.

If you don´t own kontakt 1.5.3 ore kontakt 2, I agree with you.

Now I actually think highly of Native Instruments as a company...and Kontakt 2 is very powerful. But the Kompakt players look so pathetic....check out what VSL have done with their new VI to make sample content, fun , fast , and powerful to use. That's what NI should be doing, too.
    As I said, open the siedlaczek library, ore any other kontakt library in kontakt 2 and:
    remap it, resample, combine with other samples, change controllers....
    And in the end, save your own patches.

Another point:
    Its easy for the developer to update the patches with different controls, remapping etc.
    You just buy the samples.
    Dough Rogers allowed me in another post to change his patches and share it with others.
    I wonder, why this does´nt happen in a sampling library forum.

VSL is another league.
    But with the kontakt scripting we get closer to these kind of controls than with any other sampler.
    The scripting is still just at the beginning of its possibilities since they are so complicate to program.
    But the near future will bring scriptings wich you can use with any kontakt-player library.
    Ore with your private barking and fart library.

I´ve seen the siedlaczek library last saturday in munich, in the same room
    when VSL had the word premiere.
    His programming on the strings is outstanding.
    After loading one patch, you play all the articulations without touching a computer keyboard.
    Very intelligent use of modwheel, keyswitching, etc.
    The complete string essentials are great sounding, fresh recorded samples that have nothing to do with the old advanced orchestra. (Where you had to load each staccato, ornament, sustain, runs, in its own patch)

String Essentials don´t even come close to VSL, but for that price its worth every cent.

Chris Hein
    Chris Hein - Horns / Chris Hein - Guitars / Chris Hein - Bass
    http://www.chrishein.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Blaske
    Actually, the "great" upgrade price is one of the benefits. CP gives the company more confidence that they'll be able to sell a number of copies before the pirates take over.
    Good point but I have to ask the developers what the point of copy protection is other than to tick me off, the legitimate buyer and make using my software such a drag in the first place? It's still going to get cracked! The "player" was created solely for CP purposes and nothing more. I'd rather deal with non copy protected sample CD's (I paid for) and import into GS3 than deal with endless stripped down sample 'players', registrations, activations, etc.

I see H2O has cracked Steinbergs SX 3.1 (again), the supposed 'uncrackeable' CP and downloads are available all over the internet now. Hehehe. What's the point? I don't promote piracy but I do get a kick out of this. I'm tired of being a pawn in the war between developers and pirates. Both can get lost!

P.S. Developers and crackers still end up as losers anyway. : ) CP is just not working and thanks for the hassles to developers everywhere from me a legitimate user and licensee.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Its not a kompakt player - its a kontakt player.
    Thats a difference!
    Kompakt player looks bigger, but does not recognize midi controller.
    Kontakt player has all the features of kontakt included, you just can not change or edit.
    Chris Hein
    Chris, great info, thank you. This is the first I've heard of a *Kontakt* player. If it allows User-editable (and saveable) modulation routings that would be a big plus over a *Kompakt* player, for sure. Is this possible, do you know, or can you only do that if you open the patches in Kontakt itself?

Peter S. was always very "musical" with his material....the String Essentials look worth checking out, too.

best wishes

Nigel

Hi Nigel,
    Sorry for the missunderstanding. Is that because of my bad english?
    In kontakt-player you can NOT save or edit anything. Its a player.
    But in kontakt, you can change everything and save it.
    After that, you can even open these modified patches in kontakt-player again.

Chris Hein

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hein
    Hi Nigel,
    Sorry for the missunderstanding. Is that because of my bad english?
    In kontakt-player you can NOT save or edit anything. Its a player.
    But in kontakt, you can change everything and save it.
    After that, you can even open these modified patches in kontakt-player again.

Chris Hein
    Well Chris, your english is really not bad but the written word sometimes needs as much editing as a good sample patch does ;-)!!

It's a shame the player won't allow you to edit or save. Kontakt is great but I must admit "ich bin immer noch etwas ueberfordert damit" -the interface is not something you could describe as immediate, right :-((??!!

But, if you can open your own saved patches from Kontakt in Kompakt Players and have all the modulation routings etc. available as saved, that would be great....I'll try it.

Nigel

But, if you can open your own saved patches from Kontakt in Kompakt Players and have all the modulation routings etc. available as saved, that would be great....I'll try it.
    If you have any special demands, or need help, I could modife a patch for you.

Its always a good idea to study existing patches or use them as a template.
    If for example, you want to program a modwheel crossfade, take one of
    the existing VSL strings that came with K2 and have a look at the volume curves,
    or simply delete the samples and put your own in.

Chris Hein

Go Back to forum