• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano Rag

Share/Bookmark

Piano Rag

Here is "Reminiscence - a Nostalgic Rag" using GPO Steinway. It's rather Joplinesque in feel (whatever about quality!) and is taken at a slowish tempo.
    The main theme came to me a few years ago, but the other sections have been recently added. I purposely didn't add other instrumentation, as I preferred the solo piano sound.

http://indigo.ie/~edolan/demo2.mp3

Re: Piano Rag

Great tune! Nice melodies! I like it, but as far as my personal taste is concerned, the tempo is too slow. Increasing the tempo will really put some life into it, in my humble opinion.

Keep up the great work. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

Larry A.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Thanks for your comments Larry. I have tried it out at various tempos, but in the end opted fot the slower one as it got nearest to the effect that I wanted - more laid back. I might change my mind on this later!

Hey… this was nice!

Sounds very professional in terms of originality.

I went through a phase of listening to Ragtime myself many years ago. Not much these days, but I agree about the slow tempo… a nice casual lounge feeling.

great work!

jeff

This is excellent! Excellent form and structure of the rag. I'm sure this would become well prominent piece if composed during the days where ragtime was popular. The tempo and it's consistancy were perfect IMO. Ragtime is not suppose to be played at a fast tempo, so I'm glad the piece wasn't expeditious and rapid. GREAT WORK!

-Cata
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

I love good a rag and this is amazing. My vote goes for the current tempo. It just feels right. Excellent work.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Hi,

I really liked this too but I have to agree with larry I would like to see this at higher tempo. imo too

Saldor

Thumbs up Re: Piano Rag

Come on, you mean you guys never heard a slow tempo rag before?
    I believe I understand what and where Euqene is going with the choice of tempo. As a matter of fact, it's beautiful! Don't change a thing as far as tempo. Would like to hear a little more contrasting dynamics within the form though. I studied Rag in college and as far as it goes this is quite musically composed.

Love it, very nice!

“Joplin himself lived before sound recording technology was commonplace, but he did make a number of "piano rolls" playing his own works. These can be played on players (looking like upright pianos) which read the rolls and trigger the playing of notes according to the position of the holes in the roll recorded by the original player, in this case Scott Joplin himself. While these instruments maybe lack a little in terms of dynamic range, recordings of them provide a fascinating insight into the original composer and his approach to playing his own works. He often provided tempo markings for his rags such as "slow" - he treated such works very much as a serious art form, whereas some pianists had a tendency to play this kind of music fast for comic effect.”
    www.mfiles.co.uk
    Styxx

I loved this. Here is another vote for the slower tempo (although sometimes I missed the quicker pace ...).

YBaCuO

Hi,

Well I never had any course in music of any kind. So I only go by ear and only heard some rags and I I did always did heard fast one Styxx its probably for that I am not used to this

Saldor

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast