• Register
  • Help

Topic: Snare Drum Brush Stirs

Snare Drum Brush Stirs

Stupidity warning....

I am using an M-Audio midi controller with CC131 assigned to to slider (no aftertouch on keys available).

I think that I am following the instructions correctly for brush stirring - hit and hold C#1 (midi note 37) and then I am nudging the assigned slider up then back to 0 to simulate pressing the key a little then backing off.

All I notice is an increase/decrease in volume of the stir as I move the slider up/down - I don't hear something that I would interprete as a change in direction of the stirring.

Can anyone show me the error of my ways?

Tom - is there any chance that you could post the midi file of the brush drum demo off the JABB website?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

West Seneca, NY

Re: Snare Drum Brush Stirs

I haven't had the opportunity to hear or play any of the sounds in JABB. However, the increase and decrease or dynamic level of sound can be attributed to a change in direction of the brush stroke especially if the stir is executed in one hand only. It is hard to keep the dynamic level the same in both directions especially during the change. There is a double hand stir and accent stroke technique that is rarely seen (at least I haven't seen it in a while) that offers more or a steady stir sound and dynamic level.
    Of course, as I stated, I cannot hear the samples as of yet. Only can offer my experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.

Tom - is there any chance that you could post the midi file of the brush drum demo off the JABB website?
    Me too!!. Me too.!! I would love to examine that file. One whole note for a bar, and 4 or 8 direction changes.? 4 quarter notes and 4 direction changes?
    What would you consider best practise.?

Since I had most of this tutorial laid out already I've taken time to finish it and put it up in the "Tips, Techniques, and Tutorials" section:

More tutorials to come later on brass shakes and other things.

Go Back to forum