• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Oxymoron (JABB) Paul Read

Share/Bookmark

Oxymoron (JABB) Paul Read

Hi again

Here is my second JABB project, called Oxymoron.

http://www.paulread.ca/songs/Oxymoron.mp3

The piece has bop elements and is a line based on the great song "Love Walked In" by the Gershwins (I think). They woudn't recognize more than a tiny bit of it I guess. Lots of alternate II-Vs and so on.
    It is really tough, I find playing a good swinging trumpet or saxophone so on a midi keyboard (don't yu agree?) . However, these represent real time efforts and I thought they both had reasonably shape so I didn't do another take.

The mix is another issue. Again, my thanks to DPDan who has increased my knowledge of DP4.6 about 1000 percent in the past day or so. I will continue to work this aspect on my next project and may try a few more times with this one.

JABB does pretty well here. The tenor solo could have used a little more pedal to improve the tongue/slur balance. But at the moment, that is going to take a little more practice.

Hope you enjoy.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: Oxymoron (JABB) Paul Read

Hey Paul that was fun!!!

Dan

Hey Dan

Thanks a bunch. And speaking of a bunch, I think I'll have a 'few' more questions next time we talk. Phew! What a deep program. In fact I think that's what I think DP stands for: Deep Program. At leat that's what I think "aboat" it.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Hey Paul that was fun!!!

Dan
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Cool Re: Oxymoron (JABB) Paul Read

Still something is sounding very electronic/fake....

Very very disappointed....BUT....It's because the rest is so real and so good, that you believe for a while to have a real band in front of you WOW!

The contrast between realism and little errors is the only bad think...we are so close to recordings, congratulations to you and JABB makers.

...I hear it again and I add...WOW again. Nice demo. full stop.

Paul,

Excellent work.

Good arrangement, and well realised.
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

I have to agree with you Fabio. And I worked hard on this to make it sound less so, but there are two things (or more going on). I am new to the library, so that is said in defense of the library, which can do many things I haven't learned to do yet. In comparison to GPO, the realism factor is stretched. As I said in my note re the Bedtime story posting, the saxophone section has me scratching my head. In mid register 4 or 5 way voicings, in the background you can get away with it, but in a solo or soli, the results are disappointing so far. Rather, MY results are disappointing so far.
    Anyway, thank you for listening. Frank exchange about the music and composition and life and technical problems and product assessment is why this forum is COOL!!

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Still something is sounding very electronic/fake....

Very very disappointed....BUT....It's because the rest is so real and so good, that you believe for a while to have a real band in front of you WOW!

The contrast between realism and little errors is the only bad think...we are so close to recordings, congratulations to you and JABB makers.

...I hear it again and I add...WOW again. Nice demo. full stop.

I think you did one heck of a good job on this, Paul.

Really solid writing on it, of course...really enjoyed listening (several times, in fact).

But the rendition and mix -- contrary to some of your own and my esteemed colleagues' comments here -- I thought was quite good.

I think a key point to remember, here, is that this is Jazz... and there is no kind of music, not none, not any, that requires more nuancing and finesse and fine-tuning [in attempting an electronic rendition] than Jazz like this!

In my opinion, at this stage, just barely having gotten JABB out of the box -- you did a bang-up job on this, Paul.

If this is what you're doing when you've barely figured out the basics, I really want to hear what you're cracking out six months into it!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Hey, Paul

I loved this tune!! You have some outstanding chops. The sax, trumpet, and band were spectacular. As I'm listening to this I'm amazed. With JABB just out how did you do this!!??

Many thanks, Stiletto. I really appreciate your remarks. It was a lot of work and I think I can fiddle with this thing for another 2 weeks, changing the mix, getting some fall offs in places where they should be and so on, but it was a good way to get my feet wet with JABB.
    Regards
    Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto
    Hey, Paul

I loved this tune!! You have some outstanding chops. The sax, trumpet, and band were spectacular. As I'm listening to this I'm amazed. With JABB just out how did you do this!!??

You are right (as always) David. There is no end of tweaking this and that and still not satisfied. The music is played (in real life) from such an immediate place and the countless minute adjustments one makes from moment to instant moment with sound, articulation, energy, register, vibrato, etc. etc. etc., is very difficult to bring into the midi, electronic world. But....IT SURE IS FUN TRYING!!!
    Thanks for the kind words.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by etLux

I think a key point to remember, here, is that this is Jazz... and there is no kind of music, not none, not any, that requires more nuancing and finesse and fine-tuning [in attempting an electronic rendition] than Jazz like this!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast